Broken crankshaft (Kubota grey) - what are my options?

/ Broken crankshaft (Kubota grey) - what are my options? #1  

MikeBerriman

Tractor
L1501
Hi all,

I have an odd little tractor. It's a L1501, which at some point has had an engine replacement to be a 3 cylinder. Based on the serial numbers, the engine is a Kubota D1100, D1101 or D1102 - which are the engine from the L2201 and/or the L245 in non-grey land.

Problem is it broke the crankshaft 2 weeks ago. I have yet to find a local supplier for a new crank (I'm in Australia). I've found a supplier in the US that claims to be able to get me one, but to purchase and ship (with some conrod bearings) would be about $2000 (Australian). Then another ~$1000 to get it fitted. And there is of course no guarantee that further damage wasn't done when the crank broke.

So my questions are :

1) Does anyone know where I might be able to get a new crank (to verify the price)? If they are in Oz, even better.
2) If I decide to replace the whole engine - can you still get recon engines of the same model, or will a later model Kubota engine fit?
3) Do I give up now?

Anyone have any ideas?

Cheers,

/ Broken crankshaft (Kubota grey) - what are my options? #2  
Mike;

I would first tear down the motor to verify that all you need is a new crank. It would be awful to spend all that money to find out that other parts are needed or that the motor is toast due to internal damage. There are several small Kubota diesel engines on ebay.com.au that are in your budget estimate and they are complete running units. Just to give you an idea of what you might be able to get "locally" in Oz. Good luck

SimS

/ Broken crankshaft (Kubota grey) - what are my options?
Thanks SimS. I'd seen those ones on ebay - but the problem I have is how do I verify that a replacement engine (in this case a D1105) is going to be compatible with the tractor? I assume the flywheel would have to be a match, as would the bell housing for the clutch. The engine mounts would be nice, but I assume i could fabricate new mounts to fit the engine.

Anything else I would have to check?

Cheers,

/ Broken crankshaft (Kubota grey) - what are my options? #4  
Since your tractor originally came equipped with a two cylinder Kubota, I would imagine that there is some compatibility with regard to mounts, etc. I'm guessing that the bellhousing/mounting plate is going to be a common Kubota pattern that they used on their small tractors. It's going to be a bit of a science project but you aren't the first guy to do it. I would Google DIY tractor repower for examples of other folks who have done it. OTH it might be quicker (maybe not cheaper) to determine how much your existing engine is hurt and replace the broken parts. Your machine isn't running now so tearing it down isn't going to waste any time. And it will give you an idea on how to proceed on the rebuild vs. replacement issue. Cheers.

SimS

/ Broken crankshaft (Kubota grey) - what are my options? #5  
Did you ever finish this project Mike or did you give up?