Briggs and Stratton Endurance 20hp blowing blue smoke

/ Briggs and Stratton Endurance 20hp blowing blue smoke #11  
That is the 33M677-1594-G5 engine, and the head gasket blowing between the cylinder and push rod cavity is very common. As well as having the head and block warp in that area. So may want to get some emery paper and something flat to hone the surfaces.

/ Briggs and Stratton Endurance 20hp blowing blue smoke
Hi RandyT,

Thank you very much for the decoding. You have the mastered the secret art of interpreting Briggs numbering. That's a big help as now I can buy a gasket.
Thanks for the tip on honing.

FordNMassey

And thanks Caveman and others for advice to this point.
I'll pop the head off and repair what I find and then report back so this can be a reference for others in the future.
FordNMassey

/ Briggs and Stratton Endurance 20hp blowing blue smoke #14  
Hi RandyT,

Thank you very much for the decoding. You have the mastered the secret art of interpreting Briggs numbering. That's a big help as now I can buy a gasket.
Thanks for the tip on honing.

FordNMassey
Actually I cheated. As a Briggs dealer I have access to the dealer site which gives me the capability to look up engines by engine serial number. That is how I found your engine model number, which should be stamped into the metal valve cover. Being a dealer and a Master Service Technician can have its perks sometimes. Other times it can be a nightmare.

/ Briggs and Stratton Endurance 20hp blowing blue smoke #15  
That is how I found your engine model number, which should be stamped into the metal valve cover.
I wonder who the brilliant person was that thought that up. When I worked on my niece's LA125, the cover was rusted enough that the engine serial number was unreadable. What happened to stamping the serial number in the block?
I was able to get parts by the tractor serial number though.
It blew the head gasket at the pushrod cavity too, another piss-poor engineering decision to leave a 4" span of head gasket hanging out in the breeze.

Well RandyT, however the "cheat", it's a big help, so thanks.

/ Briggs and Stratton Endurance 20hp blowing blue smoke #17  
Something also that I use when I can't read a model number is my QR code reader on my phone. It doesn't let me down too often.

Hi,
Haven't popped the head yet, as I've been delayed. Assuming it the head gasket, any objections out there to me using a 0.5mm copper head gasket, home made?

/ Briggs and Stratton Endurance 20hp blowing blue smoke #19  
I've seen copper head gaskets on the web for these. Electrolysis an issue? If not, I'm not sure what there is to lose.

Hi Tomplum,
Good thinking on the electrolysis. It is possible as aluminium and copper are way apart on the galvanic scale. Interestingly, I've seen a copper one on a Yanmar.
I reckon I'll risk it. These motors aren't 20 year propositions when I put 60 hard hours on a year, so I reckon I'll wear it out before it corrodes away.
Can't see them online. I'm in Australia, which limits parts options pretty severely.