Briggs and Stratton Endurance 20hp blowing blue smoke

/ Briggs and Stratton Endurance 20hp blowing blue smoke
Hi,
Popped the head. 4mm wide (3/16") channel thru gasket between the combustion chamber and the valve push rod housing.
New standard gasket purchased locally - I couldn't find my copper sheet.
Anyone able to provide me with torque setting on head bolts and the cold valve clearances?

/ Briggs and Stratton Endurance 20hp blowing blue smoke #23  
Hi,
Popped the head. 4mm wide (3/16") channel thru gasket between the combustion chamber and the valve push rod housing.
New standard gasket purchased locally - I couldn't find my copper sheet.
Anyone able to provide me with torque setting on head bolts and the cold valve clearances?
IN .003-.005 EX .005-.007 head gasket torque 250 lb/in The valve clearances are set 1/4 past TDC to take the compression release out of the equation. If rotating past TDC and one valve is partially open then need to make another full rotation. The quarter inch is subjective. And some people will open one valve fully and then adjust the other valve and then rotate to fully open that valve to just the remaining valve

Thanks RandyT. That will get me mowing again tomorrow.
Early summer here and we're busy mowing as part of bushfire prevention, which is legally required.
Funny thing is though, it was raining today, making it pretty strange to get out wet weather gear for bushfire prevention.
Go figure.
But the sun will come out in a fortnight and all the standing grass will suddenly look very scary, so thanks for the help with the mower.

/ Briggs and Stratton Endurance 20hp blowing blue smoke #25  
Randy, do you lube your head bolts? The ASPI doesn't call for it, but the earlier service manual does.

/ Briggs and Stratton Endurance 20hp blowing blue smoke #26  
Randy, do you lube your head bolts? The ASPI doesn't call for it, but the earlier service manual does.
The service manual on the dealer site says to coat the threads with valve guide lube 93963 which is a lead based grease. Most of the time there is enough oil/lube on the threads when they are removed they can be reinstalled without extra lube. Head bolts are torqued in three step process.

Hi All,
Thanks everyone for the help. It's reassembled and running perfectly.