Briggs 675 on log splitter won't start

/ Briggs 675 on log splitter won't start #11  
Nov 2022 The NO start problem in freezing weather is still unsolved -- at Deer camp (with weather temperature at 24 degrees) the crew pulled on the starter rope for over a half hour. At that point I used this procedure that I described in this forum Dec 20, 2020: I removed the air cleaner and put a plastic plug in the carburetor air passage (where the choke should be.) and after a few pulls the engine started and performed well. [The plastic plug is the top cap from a bottle of HEET. ]

Briggs & Stratton Engine 675E Serial number: 14 0110 58 05410
Mounted on a SPEECO Split Master 22 Ton.

Briggs & Stratton: Please put a choke on these engines! AND offer a kit to replace this carburetor that includes a real choke!!

Log splitters are often operated in freezing weather.

/ Briggs 675 on log splitter won't start #12  
try a new plug,,, even a bad plug will spark.. also if left outside could be water in the fuel from condensation.. clean carb. tons of you tube vids.. good luck

/ Briggs 675 on log splitter won't start #13  
The air filter mounting base is bad to warp on that style of engine which prevents it from properly sealing against the carb, and prevents the primer bulb from pushing air into the carb for priming. Most of the time double gasketing the air filter mounting base against the carb will fix the issue.

/ Briggs 675 on log splitter won't start #14  
JUst a FYI, some B&S motors have a neoprene (?) seat for main needle valve, I have one the got all swollen up from the ethanol in gas... About a 50 cent part to replace....
IF a squirt of starting fluid or carb cleaner down intake will allow engine to pop a few times, but wont start, its likely it can not draw fuel thru main jet...

Also some models use neoprene seat for float needle...

Last edited:
   / Briggs 675 on log splitter won't start #15  
JUst a FYI, some B&S motors have a neoprene (?) seat for main needle valve, I have one the got all swollen up from the ethanol in gas... About a 50 cent part to replace....
IF a squirt of starting fluid or carb cleaner down intake will allow engine to pop a few times, but wont start, its likely it can not draw fuel thru main jet...

And some shops will only sell complete OH kits.
Blame it on gasohol !
Then also rubber fuel lines will suffer the same demise.

/ Briggs 675 on log splitter won't start #16  

haven't had issues with swollen seats due to ethanol, but carb cleaner will cause them to either double in size or crumble like an old pencil eraser.