Branson 5220 CH tractor with a Kukje A2300 T11 engine

/ Branson 5220 CH tractor with a Kukje A2300 T11 engine #1  

Ster1

Bronze Member
Tractor
Mitsubishi
Hi folks,
Does anyone know what software I need to talk to this tractor? I've never heard of either Branson or Kukje?

/ Branson 5220 CH tractor with a Kukje A2300 T11 engine #2  
You don't need ANY, it is a mechanical IDI engine, the only ECM in the system is the one managing the exhaust flap that will close when a forced regen is needed. Else the motor and fuel system is totally clueless of it's surroundings. I have the N/A Kukje A2300N4 and I haven't had a regen request in 320h.

/ Branson 5220 CH tractor with a Kukje A2300 T11 engine
You don't need ANY, it is a mechanical IDI engine, the only ECM in the system is the one managing the exhaust flap that will close when a forced regen is needed. Else the motor and fuel system is totally clueless of it's surroundings. I have the N/A Kukje A2300N4 and I haven't had a regen request in 320h.
Oh great! I had assumed since that Kukje was a tier 4 engine, it would have emissions stuff / common rail injection etc. But I just got the parts book, and you're right, she's mechanical. Thanks a bunch!

/ Branson 5220 CH tractor with a Kukje A2300 T11 engine #4  
The Kukje is a absolute jewel of an engine, quiet, simple and so far very reliable.

/ Branson 5220 CH tractor with a Kukje A2300 T11 engine #6  
BTW, since TYM owns Kukje, it is officially now a TYM engine...just sayin'.

/ Branson 5220 CH tractor with a Kukje A2300 T11 engine #7  
The data recorder that monitors the DPF has an OBD2 port. If you look at the shop manual you'll see that there's some info about it, but it's a dealer only item. I tried to read data from it with a couple OBD2 readers and did not get anything. On the most recent models the data recorder also controls regens. Mine's about 5 years old and while it has the DPF it lacks the exhaust valve and a way to command a regen.

/ Branson 5220 CH tractor with a Kukje A2300 T11 engine
Thanks for the clarity guys! I had never heard of a mechanical engine with a DPF. That was throwing me. Then, I heard there is no software, and that left me wondering how I force a regen? It turns out there is software, but I can’t get it. Thanks Eric for clearing that part up! Hold up, I thought we cleared up this right to repair business already or is that still in the courts?

/ Branson 5220 CH tractor with a Kukje A2300 T11 engine #9  
Thanks for the clarity guys! I had never heard of a mechanical engine with a DPF. That was throwing me. Then, I heard there is no software, and that left me wondering how I force a regen? It turns out there is software, but I can’t get it. Thanks Eric for clearing that part up! Hold up, I thought we cleared up this right to repair business already or is that still in the courts?
easiest way to deal with that style if you cant get it to rev above 2k rpms, is to remove the center section of the filter medium, and first blow it out with compressed air to get the loose particulates, then set the filter in a catch pan and pour clean diesel over it ad let it sit for 30 minutes or so this will grab what cant be blown out by air alone, then once its dry again blow it out once more and reinstall it, you should now be able to rev past 2k, if you can rev it up to as close to 3k rpms you can and let it sit and run for 45-60 mins( depends on how dirty it actually is) if you cant repeat the steps above until you can. if that still doesnt work, it will need to be replaced.

/ Branson 5220 CH tractor with a Kukje A2300 T11 engine #10  
I think that with the previous 20/25 series generation without the exhaust valve there is no way to do a regen even if you have the dealer device that connects to the data recorder. All I see for it in the shop manual is reading data from the recorder. There's no mechanical provision for extra fuel or raised idle like you'd need for a parked regen.

Branson uses a low temp continual regen system. You need run it hard enough often enough to keep it clean. I think the new ones that can command a regen are to address the clogging problem some users had when they could not get the DPF hot enough.

I try to keep the rpms in the green zone on the tach when I'm working but sometimes there's a good reason not to like mowing in E-PTO to be quiet or doing loader work around someone. I balance that out by running a PTO chipper which takes all the HP the engine can deliver and probably gets the DPF nice and hot. So far with 330 hours it's worked ok. But it also does not get that cold here and that can be a factor too.

It'd be nice if the data recorder would give you current DPF status on the dashboard so you'd know when it's hot enough and when its not and what the pressure differential is so you know when it's clogging vs cleaning up. The sensors are there so all it would need is programming and some extra display on the dash.