Box Scraper

/ Box Scraper #1  

Anonymous Poster

I am about to embark on my first implement construction project for my Yanmar 1500D. Since new box scrapers are $450 or more in my neck of the woods and used ones are virtually non existent, I figured it would be cheaper and more fun to make my own. If nothing else it will be a good experience before I tackle the CAD Plans Loader.

I picked up a couple of new 41" long scraper blades for $42 each. This should be a good size for the tractor and my needs. The rest of the materials should just be relatively cheap salvage steel parts from my local metal supplier. I plan on using a 4x4” square tube with 3/16” wall thickness for the main horizontal piece, 1/4” thick side plates and 3/16” thick rear plate. Does this seem adequate to you experienced fabricators out there? If there is any interest, I can post plans and pictures when completed.

/ Box Scraper #2  
Sounds adequate to me.

What's the hp and rear tread width of the 1500? 41 inches wide seems awfully narrow. I couldn't live without mine covering my tracks.

/ Box Scraper #3  
Most tine bars are at least 1/4", but you could reinforce the back bottom and the front top corners of the tube with some 3/4"x3/4"x1/8" angle and be covered. Try to contour the holes for the tines as closely to the shape of the tine as possible and round the corners so as not to provide a place for tearing to start. If you can roll or bend the back so as to cause the soil to roll rather than just pile up you can move more with less horsepower and traction. But then again, I may be all wet.

/ Box Scraper
That was a good point about the width. I was guessing that the 41" would be enough since I had not measured the rear tire separation. When I did measured them, they were 41" with the rims turned inward. I plan on turning the rear wheels around for a wider stance and that will add approx. 6 more inches. So I guess I'll be taking the 41" blades back for some 48" blades.
I believe the 1500D is good for 17 to 18hp.

/ Box Scraper #5  
I'm not sure how much freight would be from Southern IL, but I might be able to save you some bucks on your cutting edges and scarifing tines. Around $5 a foot for the edges and $10 for the tines plus shipping.

/ Box Scraper #7  
HOLD ON!!!!!!! Before you go embarking on the CADPLANS loader, look at the following web site. The plans are only $50, and that includes a list of materials as well.

Here is the address:

http://www.p.f.engineering.50megs.com

The loader that they have there has the oil stored in one of the loader posts. Just make 2 regular posts, and there you go. He has plans for teeth for the loader if you want it too, and is making a backhoe. I am making this same loader for my YM1401. Just a little bit of my opinoin.

Aric
YM1401/w3tcompact/icons/king.gif

/ Box Scraper #8  
gerlacr2002,
Where in the world did you find 41" scraper blades for $42!!!?? That size should be perfect for my YM1110D. I have a 42" front snow blade for my YM1301D, but would like a rear one as well. $42 is down right inexpensive!!

Greg

/ Box Scraper #9  
I believe that price is for the cutting edge only, not an entire implement.

/ Box Scraper #10  
That site for the loader plans looks pretty much like a rip off of the CADPlans 907 loader. The advantage of going with the CADPlans design is that they work with a place called MetKit that can provide you with the steel in various kit forms to make the project a bit easier.(the hydraulic components as well)