BH90/BH92 Buckets and Rippers

/ BH90/BH92 Buckets and Rippers #21  
Thank you. Things like that are why my wife insists I have adult supervision when I have ideas

/ BH90/BH92 Buckets and Rippers #22  
I am very close an buying bh92. Would like a thumb but I cannot get the quick attach with a thumb. How hard is it to switch buckets without the QA
What size bucket(s) are you using on your BH90 or 92? When I bought my BH92 I had never used a hoe before and "guessed" an 18" would be best for me. In hindsight I probably should have gone with a 16". Prying and rock popping is more important to me than moving a lot of material, most of the time. So someday I might get a ripper but I don't have the QA so I'm unsure how often I'd really want to change out between bucket and ripper.

What are people using?

Dave

/ BH90/BH92 Buckets and Rippers #23  
I am very close an buying bh92. Would like a thumb but I cannot get the quick attach with a thumb. How hard is it to switch buckets without the QA

To be honest, it is a PITA. There are a few things you can do to make it better though. The basic issue is that there are too many holes that need lining up when you have the bucket, the thumb and the dipper all being heavy or immobile and needing to line up within a fraction of a millimeter in order to come together. I finally got an extra pin, tapered it with a grinder so it resembles a spud wrench tip and then I bang it through the malaligned holes so that it straightens out the alignment as it goes in. It requires a pin that is tapered over about three inches to about half or less of the initial diameter. My tapered pin is just a metal rod the same diameter as the real pin and about the same length or a little shorter. I made it simply by grinding a piece of stock rod. Doesn't need to be perfectly tapered. The tapered pin is not so hard to get started. Then use a mallet to drive it through the first side. When it is flush, take the real pin and use that as a follower by banging it with the mallet. As you pound the real pin in, the tapered pin will exit the other side (after lining up those holes) and finally fall out. Keep it clean and well greased. Once you have the main pin in, it is pretty easy to line up the second pin without needing a second tapered starter.

The other thing that I find difficult is that the bucket and thumb are quite heavy so it's hard to muscle them with the sort of precision needed to line stuff up. Using a small car jack to raise or lower the bucket makes it easier. That or a strong assistant.

/ BH90/BH92 Buckets and Rippers #24  
I also use a tapered pin made from 25mm round bar. It works well as described by IT. A floor jack under the bucket helps too.

/ BH90/BH92 Buckets and Rippers #25  
Little bit of a resurrection here. I have 12" with mechanical thumb on my BH90 ( not Kubota ) but looking to purchase an 18" , suggestions where to buy for fit and price?

/ BH90/BH92 Buckets and Rippers #26  

I'm fully aware this is an old post, but I see that you're still active so I wanted to confirm this post. Did you end up getting a BH92 and were you able to get the hydraulic thumb and QA connector / bucket on the BH?

I'm on the verge of buying an MX5400 with the BH92 and I've 'built' a tractor online several times. The online tool does allow selecting the hydraulic thumb AND quick attach coupler / bucket on the same unit. With many items, the online tool will give a warning when one option negates another option, but it does not do this when selecting the hydraulic thumb and QA coupler.

I've asked my dealer to confirm but figured I would follow up here as well. I'll reply with my dealer's answer for anyone reading this in the future as well.

/ BH90/BH92 Buckets and Rippers #27  
Don't know about the hydraulic thumb but I have the mechanical thumb and QA bucket on my BH92. I would think the hydraulic would work fine with it - if ordered or added.

/ BH90/BH92 Buckets and Rippers #28  
I'm fully aware this is an old post, but I see that you're still active so I wanted to confirm this post. Did you end up getting a BH92 and were you able to get the hydraulic thumb and QA connector / bucket on the BH?

I'm on the verge of buying an MX5400 with the BH92 and I've 'built' a tractor online several times. The online tool does allow selecting the hydraulic thumb AND quick attach coupler / bucket on the same unit. With many items, the online tool will give a warning when one option negates another option, but it does not do this when selecting the hydraulic thumb and QA coupler.

I've asked my dealer to confirm but figured I would follow up here as well. I'll reply with my dealer's answer for anyone reading this in the future as well.

Ask your dealer?

/ BH90/BH92 Buckets and Rippers #29  
Don't know about the hydraulic thumb but I have the mechanical thumb and QA bucket on my BH92. I would think the hydraulic would work fine with it - if ordered or added.

That's what I wanted to hear. I believe you're right - the hydraulic thumb has the same hinge points as the mechanical thumb so all should be good.

Ask your dealer?

I was there this past Saturday and we built a tractor in the Kubota system. It said nothing about there being a problem with the hydraulic thumb an QA coupler so I wasn't concerned until I read a few posts online like the one I quoted above. As I mentioned in my post that you quoted, I've asked the dealer to confirm and will report back in this thread once I know for sure.

/ BH90/BH92 Buckets and Rippers #30  
That's what I wanted to hear. I believe you're right - the hydraulic thumb has the same hinge points as the mechanical thumb so all should be good.

I was there this past Saturday and we built a tractor in the Kubota system. It said nothing about there being a problem with the hydraulic thumb an QA coupler so I wasn't concerned until I read a few posts online like the one I quoted above. As I mentioned in my post that you quoted, I've asked the dealer to confirm and will report back in this thread once I know for sure.

I stumbled back across this thread while searching for a ripper for the BH92. I did order the BH92 with the hydraulic thumb + QA coupler and it was built as ordered. Now I just need to find a ripper so I can get some trees cleared...