Best wax/compound for truck scratches

/ Best wax/compound for truck scratches #1  

deerefan

Veteran Member
Tractor
1952 8N, 2005 JD 5103
What is the best over the counter wax/compound and method for removing surface scratches from truck paint? It is black, so every little scratch shows

/ Best wax/compound for truck scratches #2  
The turtle wax color waxes are pretty good. I used it on a black F150 many years ago and helped even with the deep "to primer" scratches. Good shine and hides a lot, but not perfect.

I'm not good enough yet to cut, polish and wax with my buffer reliability, so I've been practicing on my dump truck (which has pretty crappy paint). As long as your clear coat remains intact, this seems the best way to remove fading and light scratches. The fenders and doors look pretty good. But I attempted to polish the hood where the clear had peeled off. Now I have a yellow streaked hood on a red truck.

/ Best wax/compound for truck scratches #3  
Our dog once went to town on a dealership loaner car. It was a brand new black Mitsubishi. It looked terrible. I thought for sure we were going have to pay to have the car buffed out or something. He scratched every external surface he could reach. Did some online comparison research on scratch removers and Meguiar's Scratch X 2.0 kept showing up as the best in the comparisons. I got two bottles of the stuff. Don't remember the price, but remember that it seemed expensive. Took about 4 hours to apply by hand with a cotton cloth. And I couldn't see any hint of what the dog had done unless I looked at an extreme angle with a spotlight.

/ Best wax/compound for truck scratches #4  
I use a Porter Cable random orbital buffer. The pic show the compounds I use, the most aggressive on the left and least on the right. You can also control the cut with how firm or soft a pad they use. People are often afraid to use a power buffer because they’ll cut the paint off. It is possible but you’d almost have to try and do it. You just have to dig in and try it. You can improve a vehicle a lot just by a power buffer and a good synthetic wax.
F18EC1F5-F611-46B6-9767-9115EF2D9BB8.jpeg

/ Best wax/compound for truck scratches #5  
The results on a black vehicle, although it’s a 2010 but low mileage and I’ve had very few scratches to remove. You can get results without the power buffer, it’s just a lot of work.
DFAA92A0-0F39-46AE-AF77-7EFE8F97131E.jpeg

/ Best wax/compound for truck scratches #6  
I use a Porter Cable random orbital buffer. The pic show the compounds I use, the most aggressive on the left and least on the right. You can also control the cut with how firm or soft a pad they use. People are often afraid to use a power buffer because they’ll cut the paint off. It is possible but you’d almost have to try and do it. You just have to dig in and try it. You can improve a vehicle a lot just by a power buffer and a good synthetic wax.
View attachment 781538
You're right. I buffed cars for years and you really do have to go out of your way to burn through the paint---provided it hasn't been buffed a million times or heavily wet sanded.

/ Best wax/compound for truck scratches #7  

I agree using a good quality buffer and high quality compounds will generally fix up most blemishes.

/ Best wax/compound for truck scratches #8  
rubbing compound & finish w/ carnauba wax, Mothers is very good, sheepskin buffer pad is a good finish

/ Best wax/compound for truck scratches #9  
I agree using a good quality buffer and high quality compounds will generally fix up most blemishes.

Use a RANDOM ORBITAL buffer. It is way less likely to do damage than a rotary buffer.