Best strategies for buying a new Toolcat?

/ Best strategies for buying a new Toolcat? #1  

Fading

Tractor
Sold my old SS (New Holland LX865). Thinking of buying a Bobcat Toolcat.
Hi everyone. After first researching technical information from Bobcat and other sources that helped me understand the design and functions of a Toolcat, I found it invaluable to read up on user experiences and insights. I found a lot of that here on TBN, and it helped reassure me that a Toolcat would be a good match for my needs.

Now I am hoping for some advice about the purchase process itself. I tried to order a new UW56, but learned from the local Bobcat dealer that there would be a 3-4 month delay between ordering and delivery. I also was frustrated when he told me there was absolutely no wiggle room on his quoted price (over $83,000 for a new UW56 including a standard bucket, but not including delivery charges). I would consider buying a lightly used Toolcat, but nothing is available anywhere near me.

- Should I attempt to order from a dealer elsewhere, or does each Bobcat dealership have a monopoly on their local zone?
- If I order from a distance, any advice on arranging for shipping?
- If I place an order locally, knowing that delivery will not be possible before winter, might it be smarter to defer delivery until spring?
- Any other guidance for purchasing a Toolcat?

I will be very grateful for any advice or experience you can share.

/ Best strategies for buying a new Toolcat? #2  
Contact every dealer you can about pricing and let them know it. The local Bobcat only dealerships were the worst on pricing. I bought mine from a more rural dealer located further away that carried several brands of equipment. You can always get free delivery for a piece of equipment this expensive. Don't be afraid to ask for it once you've settle on a price.

Dealer wait times will be different with different dealers as well so check around. Don't assume what one saleman told you is gospel. They're salesman for a reason.

Also, you can rent attachments as needed and not purchase them unless if becomes more cost effective to buy them outright. You can negotiate them into the price as well. If a dealer isn't willing to budge on price, walk away, they don't need your business. You're the one with the money. They need you more than you need them.

/ Best strategies for buying a new Toolcat? #3  
Many schools, municipalities, colleges, use them and return them after 1-3 years. The used one that I bought came from a school district. Ask dealers how many they have out on contract and start dealing on one. I looked for 2-3 years before I found what I wanted. Have you test driven one yet?

/ Best strategies for buying a new Toolcat?
Contact every dealer you can about pricing and let them know it. The local Bobcat only dealerships were the worst on pricing. I bought mine from a more rural dealer located further away that carried several brands of equipment. You can always get free delivery for a piece of equipment this expensive. Don't be afraid to ask for it once you've settle on a price.

Thanks, DEWFPO. That's very helpful. I read somewhere that Bobcat dealers are not allowed to sell to a buyer in another dealer's territory. I just sent notes to six other dealers to see what they say. One immediately replied that he has none in stock, and quoted a 90-day wait time. Another set up a call later this morning. So I should have a better understanding soon.s

Thanks also for your note about renting attachments. That makes a lot of sense. e.g., I would like to own a grapple, but I want to rent one first since I have not used one before and there are many different styles. I also need to dig some fence holes, but likely don't need that attachment for more than a few days. I have wondered about getting a 4-in-1 bucket, but they get mixed reviews so renting before buying seems wise.

I also appreciate your reminder to persevere with price negotiations! And thanks, Ruffdog, for encouraging me to be patient. I love your idea of following up on leases closing out at schools/municipalities. I would be happy to buy used and save money if I feel convinced that the machine has been treated well. My guess is that schools and municipalities will be using Toolcats primarily for mowing, snow clearing and moving staff around. They probably also secure the Toolcat under cover at night and service the machines regularly.

Ruffdog, you asked if I had test driven one yet. Unfortunately I have had no luck finding one in stock anywhere in this state to rent, test, or buy. I did get to take a close look at a 2017 5600 about 18 months ago, while I was in PA. The owner was doing some brush clearing for the town and took me for a ride as a passenger. He then let me drive for a few minutes. That was enough to get me really interested, but I didn't know enough then to test it properly. It would be great to rent one for a month and actually use it on my property. I presumed that renting one from a more distant source would not be an option, but I should at least ask if it's possible.

/ Best strategies for buying a new Toolcat? #5  
my first Toolcat was a 2005 model, had issues but it was available, I could use it right away and sell it for what I paid if it was not what I wanted

the new one was 4 months delivery, discounts dream on here but did get a few extras and upgrades, doubt I would have purchased a new one given the price without having the old one to actually play with and enjoy, it also let me know what I wanted on the new machine

my first Toolcat was a 2005 model, had issues but it was available, I could use it right away and sell it for what I paid if it was not what I wanted

That's a great point. I have been thinking of my purchase only in terms of buying for the long term. I have already turned down a couple offers from the dealer for older machines with a lot of hours, for a lot less money. Your point is well taken, and it addresses a major concern I have with receiving my brand new Toolcat in mid-winter.

...doubt I would have purchased a new one given the price without having the old one to actually play with and enjoy, it also let me know what I wanted on the new machine

Again, great advice. Thanks for taking the time to share those thoughts.

I have spoken to three dealers now, and it does seem that they can sell to me, but my understanding now is that for a new vehicle the local dealer will need to agree. I guess that means he will get paid, too, though no one is explaining the details to me. Being on good terms with the local dealer will be important at some future time when I need service or parts, so I don't really object to this arrangement. I'll keep talking, and see where it leads. If I don't find a deal for a Toolcat that I like, I will consider an older Toolcat as a stepping stone. My other thought is to look for a used CTL as an interim purchase. In many ways they excel at the very things a Toolcat is least well designed to perform. I guess my thinking is that if I find a CTL that is reliable enough, I might want to keep it as a complement to a Toolcat. Or maybe i just confirm that the work I most expect to do isn't heavy lifting, digging, or grading.

/ Best strategies for buying a new Toolcat? #7  
hi Fading, the 2005 Toolcat had over 2500 hours, I did do work on it however I sold it after several years for more than I paid, I still have a skidsteer around, there are many things it does better than the TC but in general I prefer to use the TC over the skidsteer from the point I can ride with the wife or grandchild, no climbing over the forks or bucket to get in and the box is usful to carry tools and supplies when working, example, I have a post pounder, works great but with te skidsteer how do you carry the posts.

on our acreage my skidsteer served well but purchased a CTL, figured it would be a all around machine, have the loader bucket, next a grapple, then 3pt rough cut, grader box, snowblower and the list kept growing, after a couple years used the skidsteer for blowing, since the toolcat the tractor has say in the side shop, some attachments I have the adaptor to use them but I found nothing the CTL excelled at, maybe just me but it was slow, no cab, cold in winter and hot in summer then the bugs

/ Best strategies for buying a new Toolcat? #8  
Just some thoughts from an 82 year old with 40+ acres of rolling woods, fields, lawn, and 1/2 mile dirt and rock driveway to maintain. Bought my Toolcat 5600D new in 2007 with a clamshell (4 in one) bucket, finish mower, and forks. With these, I've been able to accomplish 98% of the required maintenance on my property in relative comfort for the past 15 years (not to mention helping out neighbors from time to time and exploring old logging roads) with no major mechanical problems and minimal required maintenance on the equipment. In short. it has been a life saver! Do yourself a favor and take the plunge. You won't regret it.

That's so great, Albert! Really inspiring and reassuring. I was drawn to the Toolcat by its flexible design, though there are compromises inherent to that design. It doesn't lift as high as a skid steer, the load doesn't lift straight up (which reduces the maximum lift capacity), and having the arms closer together probably makes it more vulnerable to damage if the load is unbalanced. But the longer wheelbase and independent suspension, coupled with easy access and room for two in a cab with HVAC, gives it a much more comfortable ride. It also travels faster. I bought an old skidsteer several years and was impressed with its power and its ability to turn on a dime, but it always felt like hard, sweaty work. I sometimes used the bucket to haul things like my chainsaw, timber jack, fuel, chain oil, etc., but it felt awkward, and it meant that I would have to take everything out of the bucket at the destination if I wanted to use the machine to dig or move the logs. Laurencen's comment about using a post digger with a skid steer is a similar example... you basically need another machine or a UTV.

So I'm hoping that my experience will be like Albert and others who find their Toolcat to be a reliable and comfortable friend that mostly does it all.

Incidentally, thanks to laurencen for noting that a CTL might not necessarily be the complementary machine that I was imagining for those few things on my list where a Toolcat might not be well suited. Fortunately I have some pretty great neighbors who have repeatedly offered to help me out with tractors, excavators, and bulldozers when necessary.

Unfortunately the three opportunities that I mentioned in an earlier post all evaporated, with the dealers choosing to sell locally instead. I was willing to pay the factory price, but a local buyer has the obvious appeal of potential for continuing business. I continue to follow up on new Toolcats on sale across the country, but with constrained inventory dealers are selling very easily. The only machines that don't sell within a day or two are those with just the base configuration.

The options: Deluxe Road Package (Backup Alarm, Turn Signals, Flashers, Tail Lights, Brake Lights, Rear view mirror, Side Mirrors, Horn, Rear work lights, and headlights); High Flow Package; Attachment Control; Power Bob-Tach; Radio; Rear-View Camera; Traction Control; Interior Trim; Heavy Duty Battery; Engine Block Heater; Turf or Trac 29" tires.

I definitely want High Flow, Traction Control, and the Road package, all of which seem to be things I would have to get in the factory build. A few of the other options can be purchased and easily installed by the owner, and some could probably be added by the dealer, but might get pricey with labor.

So that has me reconsidering the UW53 (the new version of the 5610), which includes almost every option as standard. There are very few of these models for sale, and it looks like they don't sell so quickly. I guess most buyers are drawn to the functionality of the cargo box, and that would definitely be handy—as it is for any utility vehicle. But I was already researching the after-market 3-pt hitch option tapping into the rear hydraulics (see Nater Tater's video), and pondering several additional questions: How can I take full advantage of a 2000 lb payload without access to another machine to load the dump tray? Will that small carry box be long enough for the kinds of cargo I imagine moving? How would I access the battery without hydraulic power to lift the dump box? What should I do to mitigate rust in that rust-prone box?

The UW53 with the added purchase of a slightly longer dump trailer would be more flexible and would address these concerns without the compromises (no PTO, difficult installation) of an after-market 3-pt hitch installation. I am left wondering about the lost convenience of a place to carry tools, chainsaw, fuel, etc., when I don't have the trailer attached (e.g., because I have an attachment in back); and the reduced agility (and increased fuel consumption) when I do attach a trailer. Any insights would be very much appreciated. e.g., am I underestimating the utility of the dump cargo box? Not appreciating shortcomings of the UW53 (or 5610)? Does anyone have a recommendation for a dump trailer?