Best method to clean older 5 gal. Diesel cans (plastic)

/ Best method to clean older 5 gal. Diesel cans (plastic) #1  

tinsnip

Silver Member
Tractor
2006 JD 4120
I have two yellow John Deere diesel jerry cans that contain fuel that’s at least ten years old. The cans have the old style nozzle and vent arrangement which I much prefer, so I’d like to bring them back into service. My concern is that they’ve been sitting for so long, there’s bound to be a bunch of nasty in there. Are there best methods for cleaning them? I can dispose of the old stuff, but then what? Thanks for your thoughts.

/ Best method to clean older 5 gal. Diesel cans (plastic) #2  
steam cleaner/kerosene wash/brake cleaner/let it dry completely then use a mr. funnel until you are sure the fuel is coming out clean. alternatively, $20 for a new jug and $13 for ez-pour vents @ TSC.

/ Best method to clean older 5 gal. Diesel cans (plastic) #3  
Pressure wash them out and sit them in the sun until they dry completely. Being winter you might need a different plan for drying.

/ Best method to clean older 5 gal. Diesel cans (plastic) #4  
I just cleaned four (4) of those 5 gallon red metal Jerry Jugs ( WWII Style) that had been used to store diesel fuel. They are about 40-50 years old. There was some rust in the bottom too. I swished some gasoline thru them several times and sat them in the sun to "dry out".

But the next time that i use them for gasoline or diesel, I'll be using a Mr funnel to dispense from them.

Cheers,
Mike

/ Best method to clean older 5 gal. Diesel cans (plastic) #5  
I go to the car wash. But mostly I just slosh a little gas around in it and keep living life. I'm using 15 year old diesel now. We bought an 85 Mack superliner that's been sitting that long. But, it had two long full tanks. 300 gallons or so. We took fuel tanks off. Got a hydraulic wet kit for a dump truck trailer and used that tank for fuel, behind the cab, on frame, and put a log loader on rear of truck. Lot more clearance without them high way fuel tanks hanging down there.

Attachments

• IMG_20220801_190335.jpg
    IMG_20220801_190335.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 91
   / Best method to clean older 5 gal. Diesel cans (plastic)
Thanks everyone. Sounds like I don’t need to make it more complicated than it needs to be. Blast it with a pressure washer, rinse with some gas, let dry thoroughly.

/ Best method to clean older 5 gal. Diesel cans (plastic) #7  
I'd use the fuel.

/ Best method to clean older 5 gal. Diesel cans (plastic) #8  
I'd use the fuel.
I was wondering about that. If it's not cloudy, add diesel conditioner, mix it in with fresh fuel and gradually use it up.
We have over 500 gallons of #2 (?)heating oil at my mother's house which I would love to get rid of. My father filled 2 tanks years ago and they've been closed off ever since. I tried to contact the local home heating assistance program but all they want is cold hard cash.

/ Best method to clean older 5 gal. Diesel cans (plastic) #9  
Try purple power at Walmart.
$7.00 gallon and works excellent.
I have heated it up in a container used it to clean internal engine parts.
90cummins

/ Best method to clean older 5 gal. Diesel cans (plastic) #10  
I was wondering about that. If it's not cloudy, add diesel conditioner, mix it in with fresh fuel and gradually use it up.
We have over 500 gallons of #2 (?)heating oil at my mother's house which I would love to get rid of. My father filled 2 tanks years ago and they've been closed off ever since. I tried to contact the local home heating assistance program but all they want is cold hard cash.
Another name for that is #2 diesel.
Put it in your tractor & BURN it.