Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #5,971  
It would have been "nice" to have Vehicle to Grid or better yet vehicle to "everything" like several other EV manufacturers provide .
That is a "feature" never-done-anything-real intellectuals have decided EVs need so as to be forced to allow the utility to use EV batteries for load balancing.

The problem is these geniuses were assuming they get free use of your battery "for the greater good."

The latest quote I have heard from Tesla, to replace an 85 kWh battery is $14,000. Lets say the car consumes 0.307 kWh/mile from the battery (this is realistic for a Model S) and 300,000 mile battery life. $14k / 92,100 kWh is $0.15/kWh of wear on the battery.

I don't think you want to pay 15¢/kWh storage costs plus the cost of electricity using your EV battery to power your home in any but an emergency situation.

A Powerwall is about $8350 now with 13.5 kWh. If you run 8 kWh/day for the 10 year warranty then it dies, the cost will be 28.6¢/kWh for storage.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #5,972  
Just responded to an accident with a brand new electric Jaguar. Tires were more for range than traction, road was snow covered and it was apparently moving right along. Glanced off a BMW and hit a tree. Wrecker operator mentioned he has seen a lot of these where the car is in regenerative breaking mode and the tires just skid on the snow , he had a good point. Turn off those Jake breaks ! Driver was fine but she said she hoped it was totaled. I said would you get another? She said no way ! That thing is terrible in the snow !
Wide low profile tires are terrible in snow and ice. Purpose made winter tires are essential.

TireRack says the Jaguar I-Pace could have been fitted with reasonable 235/65-18 tires, but lists 245/50-20 and 255/40-22 as OE options. Either option is death on snow.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #5,973  
I drove a friend's Iroc Z years ago which was about as useless in snow. 60 series tires all of the way around, I was glad to get it back to his shop without incident.
The kind of tire an Iroc Z would be fitted is more of an indicator than 60 series.

Seems back then a Goodyear Gatorback was popular. Good dry tire. Terrible in snow.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #5,974  
Epiphany today: Gale's Model Y is his manifestation of midlife crisis!
While my 2016 Leaf and 2023 Dual Motor Model Y are almost the same color no one has ever asked to drive it. 0-60 in 10 seconds vs 4.8 seconds may be a factor. :)

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #5,975  
Wide low profile tires are terrible in snow and ice. Purpose made winter tires are essential.

TireRack says the Jaguar I-Pace could have been fitted with reasonable 235/65-18 tires, but lists 245/50-20 and 255/40-22 as OE options. Either option is death on snow.
Been looking into what snow tires can be fit on a Y model. Firm believer in fully studded snow tires.
Tesla sure likes the ultra Low profile tires in general.
Proud of the factory wheels as well.
Maybe i can find a set of 17or 18s with some curb rash. Then mount new studded Hankook I Pikes. They sure have been excellent on my truck.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #5,976  
Just responded to an accident with a brand new electric Jaguar. Tires were more for range than traction, road was snow covered and it was apparently moving right along. Glanced off a BMW and hit a tree. Wrecker operator mentioned he has seen a lot of these where the car is in regenerative breaking mode and the tires just skid on the snow , he had a good point. Turn off those Jake breaks ! Driver was fine but she said she hoped it was totaled. I said would you get another? She said no way ! That thing is terrible in the snow !
It sounds like Tesla traction management software may factor slick road conditions. Perhaps driving a software managed EV is just a horse of a different color?

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #5,977  
That is a "feature" never-done-anything-real intellectuals have decided EVs need so as to be forced to allow the utility to use EV batteries for load balancing.

The problem is these geniuses were assuming they get free use of your battery "for the greater good."

The latest quote I have heard from Tesla, to replace an 85 kWh battery is $14,000. Lets say the car consumes 0.307 kWh/mile from the battery (this is realistic for a Model S) and 300,000 mile battery life. $14k / 92,100 kWh is $0.15/kWh of wear on the battery.

I don't think you want to pay 15¢/kWh storage costs plus the cost of electricity using your EV battery to power your home in any but an emergency situation.

A Powerwall is about $8350 now with 13.5 kWh. If you run 8 kWh/day for the 10 year warranty then it dies, the cost will be 28.6¢/kWh for storage.
That is a very Good point.
Have no intention of doing anything that would endanger the battery or electronics warranty.

ps. Tesla just updated the estimated delivery to February 18th through March 25th

It is possible I will lose the Tax credit. Maybe.

Last edited:
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #5,978  
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #5,979  
The kind of tire an Iroc Z would be fitted is more of an indicator than 60 series.

Seems back then a Goodyear Gatorback was popular. Good dry tire. Terrible in snow.
It was! Of course the gear ratio probably didn't help. I just drove it around the block while he was cleaning his driveway out... he wouldn't let me borrow it on a nice spring day. :D

As you know, any vehicle sucks in snow with the wrong or worn tires.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #5,980  
I drove a friend's Iroc Z years ago which was about as useless in snow. 60 series tires all of the way around, I was glad to get it back to his shop without incident.
Tires are designed for different uses. The make of vehicle they are on is independent of the service conditions.