Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #2,281  
This article is interesting Re: the tax credits for EVs which it appears most cars will not be eligible for...

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #2,283  
As I recall, we had those on the military vehicles we were driving out of AM General.
There was a dash throttle on my dad's '50 Chev pickup, and one on the Model A truck he started farming with. They made it easy to drive across a plowed field because holding a constant speed was automatic. I tried the cruise control on a Jeep to do the same thing once, but it did not work. I wonder how EVs are going to serve the off-road market, since they like to put the battery as low as possible.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #2,284  
There was a dash throttle on my dad's '50 Chev pickup, and one on the Model A truck he started farming with. They made it easy to drive across a plowed field because holding a constant speed was automatic. I tried the cruise control on a Jeep to do the same thing once, but it did not work. I wonder how EVs are going to serve the off-road market, since they like to put the battery as low as possible.
Model A truck???

Pickup or AA flatbed with compound low first gear?

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #2,285  
I got to drive an electric van for a while at my employer. I did not like the feel of letting off the accelerator pedal and instantly feel a braking effect. That is, it would not coast. I actually disliked it intensely.
I've run some pieces of equipment that reacted that way. Sounds similar to how a hydrostatic transmission reacts. The big difference is the 85 down the interstate.

Do the brake lights come on when you let off the go pedal???

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #2,286  
Model A truck???

Pickup or AA flatbed with compound low first gear?
Understand that I was a really little kid, but it was a real truck with a long flatbed and a grain box that would haul several tons of wheat. I remember that the firewall was mostly a euphemism that let engine heat into the cab, and Dad didn't want us to crank the windshield out because he didn't want it to start leaking.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #2,287  
Understand that I was a really little kid, but it was a real truck with a long flatbed and a grain box that would haul several tons of wheat. I remember that the firewall was mostly a euphemism that let engine heat into the cab, and Dad didn't want us to crank the windshield out because he didn't want it to start leaking.
Double A trucks real workhorse with 40hp and duals.

A carpet company owner had one I maintained and he used it in business…

His extended Dodge Vans could hold one carpet roll.

His AA flatbed could carry many!

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #2,288  
I've run some pieces of equipment that reacted that way. Sounds similar to how a hydrostatic transmission reacts. The big difference is the 85 down the interstate.

Yes, the hydro example is excellent.

That truck wouldn’t do 85 though. At least I don’t think. Hmmm… never got it over 30ish. But it did get there pretty quick!

I think I posted a review of it somewhere. It was comfortable, huge interior space, flat rear deck, would have made a very good delivery or contractor service vehicle. I was kinda sad when they filed for bankruptcy. All due to improper activities by management and finances. It would have provided a good vehicle made in Mishawaka, IN at the old Hummer H1 commercial plant. State of the art plant just sitting there idle again.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #2,289  

Far as cars go I think it was in 2018 when it became law for brake lights to come on if the regen is more than so many g's. Our 2016 Leaf Regen does not trigger brake lights so I have to remember to tap the brakes if I see somebody behind me.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #2,290  
Kind of like dropping into a lower gear with a manual or auto?