Batteries for a Belarus 250AS?

/ Batteries for a Belarus 250AS? #1  

mikey1306

Tractor
Belarus 250AS
I currently have 2, 12v batteries hooked in parallel. I was told I needed two so there will be enough amps for the starter not to burn out? Is there a battery I can buy that has enough amps to operate this tractor without harming the starter or any other part?
thanks!

/ Batteries for a Belarus 250AS? #2  
try dedicated forum like mtztractortalk.com

/ Batteries for a Belarus 250AS? #3  
Having two lead/acid batteries paralleled has the problem of the stronger battery charging the weaker, then vs versa. So both batteries should be as alike as possible. Simply buy the two biggest batteries that will fit in the tractor.

/ Batteries for a Belarus 250AS? #4  
Measure the physical dimensions of your battery compartment. Note which side is positive and which is negative in case your leads are too short. Take this information to an outfit that sells farm or truck batteries. You may end up with a D8 Cat battery that weighs a hundred pounds but it WILL start your tractor.

/ Batteries for a Belarus 250AS? #5  
I just can't imagine a little 250 needing two batteries to start! Unless, it has a 24V starter on it?

SR

/ Batteries for a Belarus 250AS? #6  
I just checked Tractor Data. That model Belarus did originally have two batteries but they were SIX VOLT!! The starter, according to Tractor Data (found on the engine page) was twelve volt. The batteries would have had to be wired in series to get twelve volts. I have to wonder why they didn't use a twelve volt battery to start with. Find out how many volts your electrical system is supposed to be. Perhaps they had six volt bulbs? If you can't do that from research you may get an idea from the bulb types used for lighting.
TractorData.com Belarus 25AS tractor information

/ Batteries for a Belarus 250AS? #7  
I just checked Tractor Data. That model Belarus did originally have two batteries but they were SIX VOLT!! The starter, according to Tractor Data (found on the engine page) was twelve volt. The batteries would have had to be wired in series to get twelve volts. I have to wonder why they didn't use a twelve volt battery to start with. Find out how many volts your electrical system is supposed to be. Perhaps they had six volt bulbs? If you can't do that from research you may get an idea from the bulb types used for lighting.
TractorData.com Belarus 25AS tractor information
6 volt batteries can have thicker plates, which you can't do with a 12 volt battery unless you want a huge heavy battery.. also, the 6 volt batteries can be replaced separately.. ever wonder why golf cart batteries are 6 volt?..

/ Batteries for a Belarus 250AS? #8  
12V starter, any decent 12V battery will easily start that little tractor and won't be any harder on the starter than any other combination of batts..

Those tractors came from Russia with junk batts from the get go, most dealers replaced them before the tractor went out the door.

SR

/ Batteries for a Belarus 250AS? #9  
I have a 250AS and one battery is fine in less you live in Siberia. One 12 volt, the biggest one you get in the battery comp. will be fine. They originally had 2 six volt ones in series which just aint practical over here. I don't disconnect the hydraulic pump or use the compression release and mine cranks just fine.