Are you ready for Christmas?

/ Are you ready for Christmas? #1  

WVH1977

Platinum Member
Tractor
New Holland TC40, Hitachi EX100, Gravely Pro-Turn 152
I have done a little bit of shopping this year but as usual I am behind. It has been a long year and everything is much more expensive. I am getting my children a lot of little small items and thinking about getting one big thing like a basketball hoop/trampoline or something similar as the big gift for all of them to share. What are your plans?

/ Are you ready for Christmas? #2  
I have done a little bit of shopping this year but as usual I am behind. It has been a long year and everything is much more expensive. I am getting my children a lot of little small items and thinking about getting one big thing like a basketball hoop/trampoline or something similar as the big gift for all of them to share. What are your plans?
Neither my wife nor I make a big deal over Christmas. I don't have any kids that I know of, and hers are all in their 40s.
I've always hated Christmas shopping, never can think of what to get someone. Wife just gives me a list of 2 or 3 items she'd like, with sizes and I'll just pick one.

/ Are you ready for Christmas? #3  
No! Today's gonna be busy, first kid is coming home from college today and we don't have anything up. Of course it's raining, so that'll add extra fun. Wife has the kids mostly bought for, but not for the nieces or nephews.

/ Are you ready for Christmas? #5  
Yep, we are ready. But then, we only get very small presents for our daughter (40 now). My wife and I quit buying gifts at Christmas many years ago. That is because if we need or want something we get it if we can afford it. If we can't afford it, we don't get what we always want, but what we need.

Many years ago, when I was single and very busy, I realized that buying Christmas presents was expensive and most gifts were not used, not needed, or not wanted. I felt a lot better if someone needed something during the year and could not get it, I could help them get it. Often times telling them I did not have to pay for it.

The transition was a difficult one. My mother, and brothers, and their families were slow to understand. I explained to my mom, I will come to the family gathering, but I will only buy gifts for the kids. For the adults, I prefer to exchange a card. The first time I tried that it fell on deaf ears. When I arrived, by brother came out to help me carry in all the gifts.

I was embarrassed, and said 'Oh I forgot something." and left. I went too town and bought gifts for each person. - Wrapped them in the McDonald's parking lot.
The following year I just said that I would not be able to come. After that, all was well.

I have been married to my wife for 31 years. We always tell people - please do not get us a gift. A card is always appreciated.

I forgot to add. FOR US, being together with family and friends has been delightful (without the hassles of gifts). It had made Christmas more respectful important.

Last edited:
   / Are you ready for Christmas? #6  
When our daughter was young - 10 or so, we started letting her pick out a tree at the tree farm and cut it, then take it home. Prices over the years have changed so much that when my daughter got married, we started buying pre cut trees.
With the prices here, even most pre-cut trees were around $100 this year. So now we have an artificial tree - It is really beautiful. It was $500 on sale for $225. We figured if it lasted 2 years we would break even. Wife bought those pine smell sticks to hang on the tree. For the first time, we don't have to water it.

/ Are you ready for Christmas? #7  
Just Mrs. and I couple present but both kittens make out very well.

/ Are you ready for Christmas? #8  
Get a manlft and stay off that ladder . Do it for the family . Kevin .

/ Are you ready for Christmas? #9  
We hang a lit garland on our fence every winter, with a red bow on each post. The old bows got pretty ratty, and new ones at the store were pretty expensive. So, we bought a spool of wire ribbon and my wife had a bow making jig in the basement, and I made about 15 of these.

Note the cat is pointing out some helpful hints in the instruction manaul.

137DA19B-206A-4718-A71C-AED121A8A7AF.jpeg 76A5926B-8DD5-4003-B693-4A0954E22705.jpeg 33B2223E-7EB7-4858-9CA6-1E11872FB955.jpeg

/ Are you ready for Christmas? #10  
For the most part. Wife and I don't buy each other anything anymore. Like others, we buy what we want if the money is there any time we need/want it.

We basically just spoil the kid.