Anyone Ever DIY Homemade Vanilla Extract?

/ Anyone Ever DIY Homemade Vanilla Extract? #11  
beaver wizz
They used to make perfumes from some nasty crap in a gland around a beaver's rectum
And the joke about Baby Foreskins in Face cream is not a joke, they really do put baby foreskins in face cream.
I don't know what it does but it's gross

/ Anyone Ever DIY Homemade Vanilla Extract? #12  
They used to make perfumes from some nasty crap in a gland around a beaver's rectum
And the joke about Baby Foreskins in Face cream is not a joke, they really do put baby foreskins in face cream.
I don't know what it does but it's gross

/ Anyone Ever DIY Homemade Vanilla Extract? #14  
I have extract made with potato vodka, spiced rum (my fave) and maple Jim Beam... they have been brewing for about 19 months (brew for at least 12 for the best extract) but a lot of folks in my vanilla co-op group swear by Everclear cut with distilled water (50/50) as it introduces the least amount of flavor into the vanilla extract. Using straight Everclear or grain alcohol is too strong and will dry the beans. For single fold use 1 oz of beans to 8 oz of your choice of alcohol - double fold would be 2 oz of beans per 8 oz (anything over double fold is just wasting beans). The FB group Indri's Vanilla Bean Group has BY FAR the best prices/quality that I have found, along with great tips and tricks for getting the most out of your beans.

/ Anyone Ever DIY Homemade Vanilla Extract? #17  
DIY Vanilla extract: yes. Beans we got in Indonesia when we spent a year in South East Asia. Cheap rum bought at airport with last remaining local cash on a Caribbean island. Combined the 2 and forgot about it for 3 years. Great stuff for baking.

Beaver vanilla flavouring: Happy to hear beavers provide something useful!

/ Anyone Ever DIY Homemade Vanilla Extract? #18  
I'm on my 2nd batch of home made. First batch was made with cheapest vodka I could find, came out ok after one year after two years is much better. I used 6 beans (slit lengthwise) to 16 oz. This batch is same ratio but with Jim Beam Bourbon. Made 8 bottles. Used beer bottles that have a rubber stopper with a wire bail (Grolsch style). We'll find out about the flavor in Aug of 23 or later