Anyone Ever DIY Homemade Vanilla Extract?

/ Anyone Ever DIY Homemade Vanilla Extract? #1  

CADplans

Elite Member
Tractor
584 IH 4WD
We have been kicking DIY Vanilla Extract around for a little over 6 months now,,
We have made two batches,, both with rum rather than vodka,,
Actually, about 5 years ago, we made a batch of vanilla extract with vodka,, it was boring, that is why we switched to rum.

Our recent results have been VERY good,, the majority of the extract that we made this time was for Christmas gifts,, and making chocolate chip cookies,,

There are lots of types of alcohol and a half dozen different types of vanilla beans to use,, so that leaves lots of possible combinations,,

So,, I was wondering,, has anyone else experimented with variations on DIY vanilla extract?

/ Anyone Ever DIY Homemade Vanilla Extract? #2  
I made 1 quart of vanilla 5 years ago and we're still using it :p

We had another batch that I made about a year before this last one and I wanted to make some more so it could sit and age as long as possible before use. I actually thought we'd use up the previous batch quicker than we did.

If I remember correctly I used whatever rum I could get cheap and Mexican vanilla beans, I don't remember where I got the beans, one of the local natural food stores if I remember. I don't give it away, so it's only for our own use. The reason I make my own is because even with the cost of vanilla beans being extremely high it is still much less expensive to make it yourself than to buy the pre-made stuff in the store.

I keep it in dark brown bottles in my basement on a shelf in a dark corner.

/ Anyone Ever DIY Homemade Vanilla Extract? #3  
I've made a couple of batches, with vodka. Bought the beans on-line, sliced them lengthwise and stuffed them into a tall bottle with a wire bail cap. I store the bottles in the pantry, give them a shake every few weeks and you're good to go for life. When the extract gets down to 50%, top it off with fresh vodka. I gave several away. All are still going strong 5+ years later.

/ Anyone Ever DIY Homemade Vanilla Extract? #6  
Wife does, She found a DIY vanilla forum or whatever they are on pintrest I think it is, and most use some vanilla bean importer web-site to order beans, she has ordered a few times. She said it's one of the least expensive sources so far.
I believe she has used vodka and rum as well and pretty sure the rum variations are our favorites.
As you can tell, I don't really know the details. :)

/ Anyone Ever DIY Homemade Vanilla Extract? #7  
We have been kicking DIY Vanilla Extract around for a little over 6 months now,,
We have made two batches,, both with rum rather than vodka,,
Actually, about 5 years ago, we made a batch of vanilla extract with vodka,, it was boring, that is why we switched to rum.

Our recent results have been VERY good,, the majority of the extract that we made this time was for Christmas gifts,, and making chocolate chip cookies,,

There are lots of types of alcohol and a half dozen different types of vanilla beans to use,, so that leaves lots of possible combinations,,

So,, I was wondering,, has anyone else experimented with variations on DIY vanilla extract?

Rum works well indeed.

As for Vodka, don't use the cheap generic stuff nor the super mega times distilled stuff. Instead look for a potato vodka from Puerto Rico or Poland for that woody+earthy taste. It makes a world of a difference when extracting from a fist full of beans in a mason quart jar. Also don't go too high of an alcohol content either. Like making tinctures, a 50/50 or 60/40 balance of water ratio to alcohol works wonders. It's all time and chemistry to equals great results.

Once you get this pat down, then you are off to making low cost wines that tastes like one in a guarded mint!

/ Anyone Ever DIY Homemade Vanilla Extract? #8  
My Sweetie makes homemade extract... Like said she uses cheap vanilla beans and cheap vodka.... The trade off seems she lets it sit a minimum of 1 or more years in the basement cold room to age..

She uses quart canning jars with a rubber seal and a plastic or glass canning lid...

This is well worth the cost, time, effort as a half liter of pure extract is $40 in our local Costco.. This the cheapest in our area..

/ Anyone Ever DIY Homemade Vanilla Extract? #9  
   / Anyone Ever DIY Homemade Vanilla Extract? #10  
Aint vanilla foof flavoring made with beaver wizz? :ROFLMAO: