Anyone added electric start to Honda 5.5HP pull start?

/ Anyone added electric start to Honda 5.5HP pull start? #1  

Hay Dude

Super Star Member
Tractor
Challenger MT655E, Massey Ferguson 7495, Challenger MT535B, Krone 4x4 XC baler, Kubota F3680 & ZD331 Ram 5500 Cummins 4x4, IH 7500 4x4 dump truck, Kaufman 35’ tandem 19 ton trailer, John Deere CX-15
Just picked up a new (used) twin tank air compressor. I have to put it up in the center of the truck bed and can’t reach old school pull start without climbing up into bed.

Would like to add electric start and have starter button wired over into side tool box so I can just drop side box lid, push button and start

Anyone added electric start kit?

Last edited:
   / Anyone added electric start to Honda 5.5HP pull start? #2  
Not to a Honda, but we added one to a Briggs many years ago that was very straightforward. That one had a battery that you had to charge every so often, as it had no alternator.

/ Anyone added electric start to Honda 5.5HP pull start? #3  
The flywheel housing may or may not already be milled and tapped to accept an additional coil to keep the battery charged...most of the kits I've seen come with the coils...

/ Anyone added electric start to Honda 5.5HP pull start? #4  
How about adding an old delco-remy starter/generator to a pulley bolted to the side of the driven pulley? Just a thought...
David from jax

/ Anyone added electric start to Honda 5.5HP pull start? #5  
Done the drill trick but never added an actual starter.

/ Anyone added electric start to Honda 5.5HP pull start?
Rear view of compressor in bed of truck. Not a lot of room to stand in truck and pull cord. Would like to mount switch inside of toolbox
1667157275128.jpeg

/ Anyone added electric start to Honda 5.5HP pull start? #7  
Just picked up a new (used) twin tank air compressor. I have to put it up in the center of the truck bed and can’t reach old school pull start without climbing up into bed.

Would like to add electric start and have starter button wired over into side tool box so I can just drop side box lid, push button and start

Anyone added electric start kit?

What Honda engine do you have ?

Richard

/ Anyone added electric start to Honda 5.5HP pull start? #8  
I have added a electric start kit like that to a Chinese Honda clone 9hp . Works great

/ Anyone added electric start to Honda 5.5HP pull start?
I have added a electric start kit like that to a Chinese Honda clone 9hp . Works great
I like what you are saying. Can you expand on that?
Did you do the install? Any machining required?

/ Anyone added electric start to Honda 5.5HP pull start? #10  
Check the mini-bike and go-cart forums/sites...those guys do all kinds of mods to both Honda and (HF) Predator engines...the same parts that fit a Honda will fit the HF engines...both custom and performance parts...