Anybody been crappie fishing ?

/ Anybody been crappie fishing ? #1  

kevin37b

Veteran Member
Tractor
john deere
Grandson and myself caught 8 nice 10" fish yesterday . I do not have pics .

/ Anybody been crappie fishing ? #2  
I've done a lot of crappie fishing in my lifetime, but not the last 8 or 10 years. As far as I'm concerned, there just isn't any better eating than crappie. Blue gill and some of the other perch might rival crappie for taste, but it's hard to find big enough of those.

/ Anybody been crappie fishing ? #3  
Ice is just going out of Black Lake;best time to fish for crappie.We will be after them soon.

/ Anybody been crappie fishing ? #4  
I have had some pretty crappy fishing over the years. Now I just go to Lake Simcoe and feed the fish some worms.

/ Anybody been crappie fishing ? #6  
Probably not caught any over 10" but down in the Pot Holes area in Eastern Washington, it's more of a poundage game. They do taste good as a fillet, fried in bacon grease. :licking:

/ Anybody been crappie fishing ? #7  
Grandson and myself caught 8 nice 10" fish yesterday . I do not have pics .

I like Crappie, but they are awfully bony. We used to catch them a night, fishing from the dock with a lantern. We used a cork and baited with minnows. I caught two one day with a casting rod and a white lure called a River Runt Spook. They were both maybe 12 or 14 inches long and weighed about 2 and 1/2 pounds each. Yummy!

/ Anybody been crappie fishing ? #9  
But to answer you question.... I only got to go ice fishing once this year and only got two bluegills. Maybe in a few weeks. :thumbsup:

/ Anybody been crappie fishing ? #10  
I am hoping to go after some crappie next week when my dad visits. I have a 20' boat and live in brackish tidal water, and we normally run downriver to chase after the saltwater fish. But based on fishing reports, I think we'll head upriver with some small minnows and chase after crappie and perch instead.

Here's a shot from my fish finder last week. I don't know what all those fish are down there, but I think even a lousy fisherman like me could catch something there.

fishy-fishy.jpg

Gar are also starting to run here. I have never hooked one on purpose, but have had several hang on to a lure with their long toothy bills up until they got close to the boat. Weird looking fish. Supposed to be excellent eating but very difficult to clean, and their egg sack is poisonous and needs careful handling.