Any recommendations for battery self powered mower that can deal with centipede grass?

/ Any recommendations for battery self powered mower that can deal with centipede grass? #1  

newbury

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota's - B7610, M4700
I've about 3,500 sq ft of centipede grass lawn in Northeast Mississippi.
It's a royal PITA to mow with my small non-self powered 19" TSC mower. It's like pushing it through 3" of mud. I've mowed other lawns with it that had bluegrass mix and it pushes fine. When I bought the TSC 10 years ago it was supposed to be temporary, because battery powered were coming.
Can any TBN'er recommend a battery self-powered mower that they have used on lush centipede grass? Or maybe Zoysia?
My arms are not getting younger.

/ Any recommendations for battery self powered mower that can deal with centipede grass? #2  
You're the envy of probably every person on this site! You have the choicest of grasses, and every toy known to mankind, except one. I know which mower you need, and I ain't gonna tell ya!

Just kidding... I don't know. But reading your byline is like reading a wish list.

/ Any recommendations for battery self powered mower that can deal with centipede grass? #3  
Just bought and used one time, a Ryobi 40v 21 inch "crosscut" self propelled mower. Powerful. Don't cut our grass as close as you would yours with this type of grass, but it feels like a gas mower. The blade start/stop is irky. Has a button to push and 2 levers. Supposedly either lever can be used but touch the other one while one is depressed, and it shuts down! I zip tie one lever and wrap and easy-to-remove tie around the other one. Has thumb buttons for either hand to propel it. They work fine, just like on our Honda HRR216VLA that we'll be selling shortly.

/ Any recommendations for battery self powered mower that can deal with centipede grass? #4  
My grass isn't as thick but have used an EGo 21" SP past 5 years with great success. Was easily the most powerful battery mower back then, probably still is. Original battery still has at least 90%. Claimed to be equivalent to a gas mower but isn't.

For some reason at the shop when I bought it I had no trouble starting it. Got home and muscle memory from gas mower took over and couldn't start it. On gas mower you grab the blade-brake safety bar then pull the starter. On battery mower you push the start button then grab the safety bar. Duh?

Other neat feature is the SP is a separate motor. Blade doesn't have to be spinning to engage self-propel. And SP is infinitely variable speed.

/ Any recommendations for battery self powered mower that can deal with centipede grass?
Well a little update -
I joined the DeWalt 20vMAX/Flexvolt clan about 9 years ago and am heavily invested in their tools.
Shortly after I posted this thread I found a link to the DeWalt DCMWSP244U2 self-propelled lawnmower which came out this year. So I looked at my local Mississippi Home Depot. They don't have any in stock. But I'll probably hold out for one of them if I can find any reviews showing it will work well on my grass.

/ Any recommendations for battery self powered mower that can deal with centipede grass? #6  
I'm surprised that you have centipede grass that actually needs mowing. Here in East Texas, it's a very slow growing ground coverer that chokes out other grasses and plants, and rarely needs to be mowed. It's big downfall is that it turns brown in the fall way before any other type of grass. It's very hard to get established, but once it takes root, it just slowly takes over.

/ Any recommendations for battery self powered mower that can deal with centipede grass?
Reviving this thread - still need a battery operated mower but it seems that DeWalt has gone through 3 generations of their self-propelled and all were dismal. The latest one there are a lot of reports of it just failing.
From reading TBN it seems the Ego and Greenworks are well respected.

/ Any recommendations for battery self powered mower that can deal with centipede grass? #8  
My EGo 7.5Ah battery from 2016 is still mowing my lawn.

Don't let voltage impress. 7.5Ah * 56V = 420 Wh. Watt-hours is the number you need to compare battery capacity which also represents how much work you will get out of the mower between charges. Motor efficiency, blade efficiency, all will be about the same. Marketing would like to have you think 80V is superior to 56V but you have to have at least 5Ah at 80V to get close to 7.5Ah at 56V.

/ Any recommendations for battery self powered mower that can deal with centipede grass? #9  
Hey, HF has a new mower for sale. Go try it....

/ Any recommendations for battery self powered mower that can deal with centipede grass? #10  
Haven't pulled the trigger on the harbor freight atlas 80v mower yet, but have the chainsaw, trimmer, pole saw and leaf blower. Very happy with all so far. Mower is next, it holds two 80v batteries for extended run time. Chainsaw is as good as gas, blower is better than gas. Pole saw can be shut off and restarted without issue unlike my gas one.