Any reason to check valve lash in YM2310? Anything else?

/ Any reason to check valve lash in YM2310? Anything else? #1  

etpm

Veteran Member
Tractor
yanmar ym2310
My YM2310 is just over 40 years old. It runs great and starts easy in mid 40s temps. It smokes a bit when I increase the throttle, but only briefly. It will also smoke a bit when subjected to a heavy load but this also stops quickly once the RPM is back to what it was just before the heavy load. I do use some sort of moose pee, Power something or other, to treat the fuel. Besides changing filters and oils and greasing I have done nothing else to maintain the tractor since I bought it about 2 years ago. Should I even bother to pull the valve cover and check the valves? After reading about pulling injectors I will leave that job to whenever there is actually a reason to pull them. Is there anything else that should be done or checked?
Thanks,
Eric

/ Any reason to check valve lash in YM2310? Anything else? #2  
Any idea how long since he valve clearance might have been checked?

/ Any reason to check valve lash in YM2310? Anything else? #3  
Noise reduction, easier starting, and reduced component wear. When I adjusted the valves on a new to me Isuzu diesel with 260k miles, the engine noise seemed to be reduced to about half of what it was before.

/ Any reason to check valve lash in YM2310? Anything else?
Hi folks,
I don't know how I missed your replies from so long ago. I thought nobody had replied to my question. Please accept my apologies for the late replies.
Eric

Noise reduction, easier starting, and reduced component wear. When I adjusted the valves on a new to me Isuzu diesel with 260k miles, the engine noise seemed to be reduced to about half of what it was before.
Thanks for the reply. Because of what you and winston1 said I'm gonna order a valve cover gasket and when it gets here I will check the valve lash.
Thanks,
Eric

/ Any reason to check valve lash in YM2310? Anything else? #7  
Hi folks,
I don't know how I missed your replies from so long ago. I thought nobody had replied to my question. Please accept my apologies for the late replies.
Eric
When people reply without quoting the original message, you will NOT get notified.

You should be notified now as I did quote your post. ;)

When people reply without quoting the original message, you will NOT get notified.

You should be notified now as I did quote your post. ;)
Thanks. I didn't know that. I felt like a heel for asking a question and then neglecting to reply.
Eric

/ Any reason to check valve lash in YM2310? Anything else? #9  
Thanks. I didn't know that. I felt like a heel for asking a question and then neglecting to reply.
Eric
Don't worry about it! Now you can see what people were saying about you behind your back! :p
:p :p

/ Any reason to check valve lash in YM2310? Anything else? #10  
I'm gonna order a valve cover gasket and when it gets here I will check the valve lash.
Many of the Yanmars have a semi-permanent valve cover gasket. Sheet rubber on my YM240 (70's design) and fiber 'rope' in a groove, YM286D, about 1980. I think both are original. You might not need to buy one.

Be careful to get a thin putty knife under the gasket so it comes off with the valve cover.

Good luck with this! (y)