Antique Furniture Care

/ Antique Furniture Care #11  
Not worried about value, just did not want to damage it. The finish is actually quite good and it's not beat up. I'm going to clean it with Murphys and do a light sanding of the cedar to bring back the aroma.

I'll post a picture when I get it cleaned up.

Test a spot on the back of the chest before doing the entire thing. ;)

/ Antique Furniture Care
Test a spot on the back of the chest before doing the entire thing. ;)
Good point.

I appreciate everyones input.

I don't want to change this piece in any way since it is the only thing existing that connects me and my mom to her mom. My mom lost her mom when she was 9 years old (my mom is now 85). Until a few months ago, I did not know this cedar chest even existed! My mom never mentioned it and it sat in her bedroom.

/ Antique Furniture Care #13  
you could do a test spot on the back or bottom of the chest. a simple mix using coconut oil and mineral oil would be a good start.

/ Antique Furniture Care #14  
Hey there. When we had the same issue, we gently dusted the piece with a soft cloth and used a mild cleaning solution specifically made for wood furniture. If you're still looking for more information on how to properly care for antique furniture, check out the website of the American Institute for Conservation of Historic and Artistic Works (AIC). They have a lot of good resources on the topic. Or you can click here to visit their website. Btw, eventually, we sold our antique table and bought this set of garden furniture (click here) Anyway, it's always best to err on the side of caution when dealing with antiques, and it's a good idea to consult with a professional conservator before proceeding with any cleaning or restoration work.

Last edited:
   / Antique Furniture Care #15  
I'd wipe it with something like a Swifter duster etc...

FWIW...They make sheets of pressed aromatic cedar chips that are 1/4" thick that can be used to line old chests or closets etc...