Antifreeze

/ Antifreeze #21  
I dunno about your particular tractor but the right coolant for cars and trucks can make a difference. For example, I bought a used Toyota truck and after owning it a few years the radiator started to develop leaks. I had to replace it. I spoke about this with a friend of mine who was at the time an excellent Toyota mechanic. Other cars too but really knew Toyotas. The first thing he asked was if the coolant was green. I said it was and he told me that's why I had to buy a new radiator. Toyota products used a special red colored coolant and if the usual green colored stuff was used it would damage coolant parts in the vehicle. He told me he saw this many times. So along with the new radiator I bought coolant made for Toyotas. It was not a Toyota product but was specifically for Toyotas. And was red. I know the color is just an indicator and now folks can buy "universal" coolants, but after buying a new radiator I spend the few extra bucks and buy the Toyota specific stuff. Especially since I have 3 Toyotas.
Eric

/ Antifreeze #22  
FYI: Green vs. red coolant is a contributor to the Ford F-350 6.0L diesel engine failures. When green mixes with engine oil (as in when the cylinder head bolts start stretching) it forms jello-like globs (sludge) that rapidly blocks oil passages. Hence the overheating situation involving the EGR valve controller and resulting disaster at between 130 & 150k miles. That's why the motor's famous need for 'bullet-proofing'.
Now before all you xspurts jump into this, my neighbor is a manager of Diesel motor applications at (you guessed it) Ford Motor Company in Dearborn, Mi. and 'splained it to me in black, white, pink, green, purple, and yellow. Still have my '03 350/6.0, but main ride is now an '03 F-350 Dually pre-emissions 7.3l diesel (with RED anti-freeze).

/ Antifreeze #23  
FYI: Green vs. red coolant is a contributor to the Ford F-350 6.0L diesel engine failures. When green mixes with engine oil (as in when the cylinder head bolts start stretching) it forms jello-like globs (sludge) that rapidly blocks oil passages. Hence the overheating situation involving the EGR valve controller and resulting disaster at between 130 & 150k miles. That's why the motor's famous need for 'bullet-proofing'.
Now before all you xspurts jump into this, my neighbor is a manager of Diesel motor applications at (you guessed it) Ford Motor Company in Dearborn, Mi. and 'splained it to me in black, white, pink, green, purple, and yellow. Still have my '03 350/6.0, but main ride is now an '03 F-350 Dually pre-emissions 7.3l diesel (with RED anti-freeze).
My 2005 6.0 power stroke has 205K miles, when should I get it bullet proofed?

/ Antifreeze #24  
My 2005 6.0 power stroke has 205K miles, when should I get it bullet proofed?
Sounds like you are keeping it i good shape (frequent oil & filter changes). If you can pull off a valve cover, check for sludge buildup by the oil returns. Look up 'bullet-proofing' the Ford 6.0 on the Web. There are 4 or 5 levels of changes that are suggested. My neighbor did it to his work truck after it died a sudden death (hydro-lock) out on the hiway. He did it himself: pulled off the cab, headbolts, and EGR cover plate, no more converter, straight pipe, special synthetic and runs water as a coolant. Lots of YouTubes about this. Tom spent $5k ON PARTS.

Attachments

• ford bulletproofing Youtubes.JPG
    ford bulletproofing Youtubes.JPG
    359.4 KB · Views: 57
   / Antifreeze #25  
Sounds like you are keeping it i good shape (frequent oil & filter changes). If you can pull off a valve cover, check for sludge buildup by the oil returns. Look up 'bullet-proofing' the Ford 6.0 on the Web. There are 4 or 5 levels of changes that are suggested. My neighbor did it to his work truck after it died a sudden death (hydro-lock) out on the hiway. He did it himself: pulled off the cab, headbolts, and EGR cover plate, no more converter, straight pipe, special synthetic and runs water as a coolant. Lots of YouTubes about this. Tom spent $5k ON PARTS.

/ Antifreeze #26  
I have always heard and been told by a few mechanics that you never mix different colored coolants. My Yukon uses the orange stuff, my old truck uses the green stuff. Also, antifreeze wears out, it does. I would never go 100,000 miles on the same coolant, never. I change my coolant every 50,000 miles along with cleaning out the recovery tank.

Just got a new Tacoma and will use their purple coolant, heck it was cheaper than the “so called universal coolant”.