Antifreeze

/ Antifreeze #1  

Kitz

Silver Member
Tractor
IH 244
Is there any reason to use a manufacturers ethylene glycol antifreeze over any other big difference in price

/ Antifreeze #2  
I have always considered any ethylene glycol that meets any reputable vehicle manufacturer's requirements good enough.

/ Antifreeze #3  
Ethylene glycol (green) and propylene glycol (purple) have big price differences. Not sure why different brands of EG would be way cheaper than others. I would choose a dependable brand though.

/ Antifreeze #4  
I've always felt the same. Ethylene glycol is just a chemical with pretty good lube and anti corrosion properties that lowers the freezing point of water.

I pay attention to is whether it is pure ethylene glycol or has it already been mixed 50/50 with distilled water. Price is often the same. If it is pure 100% it needs to be mixed. Containers are usually labeled so you can tell which it is. Sometimes the pre-mix is labeled as "50% ethylene glycol - ready to use" - or something similar.

rScotty

/ Antifreeze
Case ih wants 32.95 a gal for theres prestone is @17 a gal cant see why case ih would be more other than thete name

/ Antifreeze #6  
I use john deere cool gard. they say it is good for five years so I did all my liquid cooled equipment in 2020 so intervals are easy to remember now.

I buy the concentrate and mix with distilled water it comes out cheaper that way. but my local dealer doesn't stock any so they have to order and I get it a couple days later.

I guess they manage to sell "water" to most people. I can't remember exact prices but it is probably only 5 bucks more for a gallon of finished coolant

/ Antifreeze
Case ih wants 32.95 a gal for theres prestone is @17 a gal cant see why case ih would be more other than thete name
This is for straight not 50/50

/ Antifreeze #8  
If you are looking at alternative coolants, you should determine what the OEM coolant is. There are many different coolant chemistries, with ethylene glycol and propylene glycol only being the base stock. The vast majority of coolants are ethylene glycol based.

/ Antifreeze #9  
This is for straight not 50/50

$17 a gallon? I bought it a couple of years ago and believe it was about half that at Car Quest. What surprised me was staight and 50/50 were about the same price.

All of my equipment is old enough that it uses ethylene glycol type coolant. I also have some Cool Guard left from a few years back. Pretty sure the price was more reasonable then... maybe I am way out of date.

/ Antifreeze #10  
If you are looking at alternative coolants, you should determine what the OEM coolant is. There are many different coolant chemistries, with ethylene glycol and propylene glycol only being the base stock. The vast majority of coolants are ethylene glycol based.
Are they still? Not sure on tractors, but car/truck mfgrs offer dire warnings about using the wrong type in their vehicles.
Then again, most parts stores sell "universal" coolant which is allegedly compatible with all types. Hard to get a straight answer on that.