Agritec GS33 Flail Mower Transmission Running Hot To The Touch

/ Agritec GS33 Flail Mower Transmission Running Hot To The Touch #1  

Kubotachen

Tractor
2013 Kubota BX-2350D
I hooked my relatively new Agritec GS33 flail mower (newest version GS40, methinks) to my Kubota BX2350D and helped some neighbours out today mowing the long grass around their apple orchard. The tractor ran great, and the mower did a fantastic job, but after about two hours of use, I noticed that the transmission (both the gearbox and the drive shaft to the belt housing) were very hot to the touch. Is this normal? The manual says to change the SAE 90 oil at 30-40 hours (I'm nowhere near that), and every 150 hours thereafter. It appears to have a hex bolt filler on the top and a drainage hex bolt on the bottom front side of the gearbox.

Is there any chance I'm overdriving it? If so, I sort of can't understand why the dealer would've sold them together as a package. I run the tractor in 4WD low range at 3,000 RPM, and the Kubota's spec sheet says the rear PTO puts out 540 RPM at 3,043 RPM. The flail mower manual and a warning sticker says 'Drehzahl Max 540", so I appear to be operating within specs. When I engage the PTO, I throttle the motor down to around 1,500 RPM, and then bring it up from there so as not to "shock" the linkage.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

/ Agritec GS33 Flail Mower Transmission Running Hot To The Touch #2  
I hooked my relatively new Agritec GS33 flail mower (newest version GS40, methinks) to my Kubota BX2350D and helped some neighbours out today mowing the long grass around their apple orchard.

The tractor ran great, and the mower did a fantastic job, but after about two hours of use, I noticed that the transmission (both the gearbox and the drive shaft to the belt housing) were very hot to the touch. Is this normal?

The manual says to change the SAE 90 oil at 30-40 hours (I'm nowhere near that), and every 150 hours thereafter. It appears to have a hex bolt filler on the top and a drainage hex bolt on the bottom front side of the gearbox.

Is there any chance I'm overdriving it? If so, I sort of can't understand why the dealer would've sold them together as a package. I run the tractor in 4WD low range at 3,000 RPM, and the Kubota's spec sheet says the rear PTO puts out 540 RPM at 3,043 RPM. The flail mower manual and a warning sticker says 'Drehzahl Max 540", so I appear to be operating within specs. When I engage the PTO, I throttle the motor down to around 1,500 RPM, and then bring it up from there so as not to "shock" the linkage.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Heck no, you are not over driving it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They will get hot simply because the gear oil is heat transfer medium as well as a lubricant.

Check the oil level, and let me ask you this- did you grease it before you used it or
did they tell you they greased it????????

Check your oil level on a regular basis and Be sure to grease it and if there are any fittings
under the belt guard be sure to dig them out and pump two or three shots of grease in them.

I have to run an errand so I wil be back later

/ Agritec GS33 Flail Mower Transmission Running Hot To The Touch
It was greased (still some visible on the grease nipples), but I'll re-shoot them and check the oil.

Thanks for the reply!

/ Agritec GS33 Flail Mower Transmission Running Hot To The Touch
Spoke with the dealer today, and he confirmed it was shipped fully-lubricated. Nonetheless, I picked up a little container of 10W-90, and will check after a few more hours of operation.