Advantage of pneumatic tires versus solid tires on finish mower?

/ Advantage of pneumatic tires versus solid tires on finish mower? #1  

Darryle

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere
Is there any advantage of pneumatic over solid?

Mower is a 71" Caroni that I just replaced all 4 solid tires, forks and spacers. I do not have a problem with it and it doesn't dig in or tear up the yard, just curious why I see the uptick in conversion kits to go to pneumatic tires.

/ Advantage of pneumatic tires versus solid tires on finish mower? #2  
I'd go with run flat foam filled tires. Solid tires make a rough ride on the mower. Air filled tires are a lot of headaches but they run smooth.

/ Advantage of pneumatic tires versus solid tires on finish mower? #3  
I think its just for making the mower ride a bit better ----- I dont run wheels on my mower so dont know hoe wheels work. Most of the ones I have been around have soft rubber of some kind on them. Kinda semi-air, could be the foam filled stuff.

/ Advantage of pneumatic tires versus solid tires on finish mower?
Well, this is a 3pt finish mower, it's designed to run on the wheels. I set it to float over any humps or valleys.

/ Advantage of pneumatic tires versus solid tires on finish mower? #5  
I replaced my solid wheels with air tires right after getting my BefCo rfm years ago. After struggling with almost constant airing up flats, I eventually put the solid tires back on and never looked back.

/ Advantage of pneumatic tires versus solid tires on finish mower? #6  
   / Advantage of pneumatic tires versus solid tires on finish mower?
Well, I guess I will abandon the idea of the bigger softer ride of the pneumatic tires. I just replaced all 4 forks, wheels and spacers. Removed the broken grease zerks, tapped out the stripped holes and installed new zerks. Thing turns easily now, if the previous owner had kept it greased, the original wheels and forks would be OK.

HOYE Tractor had all the parts and were the cheapest I could find. They also had the pneumatic tire kits for all of the Caroni finish mowers, just couldn't see the benefit over the solid kit with everything properly installed and greased.

Thanks everyone!

/ Advantage of pneumatic tires versus solid tires on finish mower? #8  
I've had riding mowers for forty years out here. I mow two acres of "grass". My grass is field grass that, when mowed, looks pretty much like a real lawn.

40 years with OEM air inflated tires and not one single flat.

What are you guys mowing that causes so many flats??

/ Advantage of pneumatic tires versus solid tires on finish mower? #9  
I’ve never had any luck keeping air in those little tires. Foam them or go solid.

/ Advantage of pneumatic tires versus solid tires on finish mower? #10  
I've had riding mowers for forty years out here. I mow two acres of "grass". My grass is field grass that, when mowed, looks pretty much like a real lawn.

40 years with OEM air inflated tires and not one single flat.

What are you guys mowing that causes so many flats??
Locust