Oil & Fuel Adding oil to oil pump drive gearbox?

/ Adding oil to oil pump drive gearbox? #1  

Snowslider

Tractor
JD 955
While replacing a water pump on my JD 955, I noticed a gear box on the right side front, about half way up the engine. The filler cap was completely covered in residue and although I have had the tractor for many years, never noticed it.

The engine tech manual seems to indicate it's the gear box for driving the oil pump, but I can't find anything in the operator's manual about maintenance, how or when to check the oil level.

Does this gearbox need periodic maintenance? How can it not?

--Doug

/ Adding oil to oil pump drive gearbox? #2  
Did you ever get a reply to your question? I have a JD 955 and when I changed oil filter and engine oil found this filler cap but have not been able to identify what type of fluid to add here in any manual. Seems dry....it concerns me.
Does anyone have the answer.
Sev

Attachments

• IMG_8552.jpeg
    IMG_8552.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 65
   / Adding oil to oil pump drive gearbox? #3  
The yellow cap? It's just another fill port for the engine oil. Nothing to worry about. There is one on top of the valve cover and another one on that location.

These engines are used on several applications (excavators, tractors, skidsteers, etc) where some of the fill ports can get blocked by brackets, frame rails and so on.

/ Adding oil to oil pump drive gearbox? #4  
My JD 1070 had same setup. One oil cap on valve cover and second one on front engine cover. Always used valve cover one to refill oil.