A different type of squash worth planting

/ A different type of squash worth planting #1  

nickel plate

Veteran Member
Tractor
2002 New Holland TC40S
"RONDE DE NICE" or "ROUND FROM NICE" in English.
A round heirloom squash with origins from the area of Nice, France on the French Riveira.
They are not really marketable due to having thin skin that unlike zucchini bruises easily when handled and shipped.
Found a six pack of them in my local nursery and gave them a place in my vegetable garden. Harvest is 50-55 days anywhere from golf ball (grille, sauté or steam) to baseball (for stuffing) in size.
Steamed my first pickings (for true unadulterated flavor) and all I can say is OMG! Super moist and delicate in taste and texture.

Attachments

• RONDE DE NICE.JPG
    RONDE DE NICE.JPG
    386.5 KB · Views: 88
   / A different type of squash worth planting
This photo shows how delicate the skin is to damage. Harvested these about a couple of hours ago and note the skin cuts even from careful handling however it does not detract from the flavor.

Attachments

• IMG_4626.JPG
    IMG_4626.JPG
    293.7 KB · Views: 89
   / A different type of squash worth planting #3  
This photo shows how delicate the skin is to damage. Harvested these about a couple of hours ago and note the skin cuts even from careful handling however it does not detract from the flavor.
Thanks for posting this. I am always looking for different vegetables to cook and for real variety you just gotta grow your own. I will look for these and hopefully will have enough good weather this year here in the PNW to get a crop.
Cheers,
Eric