6040 no fel . Lost hydraulic pressure.

/ 6040 no fel . Lost hydraulic pressure. #1  

DJM1591

Tractor
Kubota M7040 4WD Utility Tractor
No 3 point lift, no PTO, and no clutch. Slack in clutch cable . Pump is good, relief valve verified good @2800 psi. on another tractor. Sounds like something internal but what ?

/ 6040 no fel . Lost hydraulic pressure. #2  
Per chance are you using cheap fluid? If you are, it's probably the pump Is it a hydraulic shuttle, HST or Glide shift? More info needed but your issue kind of sounds like pump failure.

/ 6040 no fel . Lost hydraulic pressure.
Using super udt2 from kubota and kubota filters. Pump is good, it is hydraulic shuttle. same pump feeds power steering just a different section of pump. Pump is new.

/ 6040 no fel . Lost hydraulic pressure. #4  
Anything else changed with new pump? Was the pump replaced because it was doing the same thing before? when you changed the filter? did you check that the old gasket came off with the filter & you're not double gasketed/sucking air? have you checked for flow by cracking lines at the fittings? If you changed the pump & oil, could be a lack of prime? How cold is it where you are?

temps in high 70's. was same before new pump, have flow from every line that I have cracked open. I don't know what the pressure is but flow is there . I think I need a hydraulic flow diagram. would be helpful. power steering is working, same pump supplies the steering although it is a different section of the pump. two lines from pump, front line goes to rear of tractor, rear line to power steering.

/ 6040 no fel . Lost hydraulic pressure. #6  
Did it ever work? or did you buy it non-working?

/ 6040 no fel . Lost hydraulic pressure. #7  
the hydro schematic should show you where to look. Title says FEL doesn't work, but first post points to 3 pt/pto & cltuch. could be a power beyond issue or rear relief valve issue. maybe bad 3 pt control valve. pick up a cheap set of pressure gauges like these:

& you should see where you have the pressure drop.

Last edited:
Did it ever work? or did you buy it non-working?
Bought it like it is. What the title refers to is there is no fel on the tractor.

/ 6040 no fel . Lost hydraulic pressure. #9  
Get the shop manual, & trace out the schematics. Could be as simple as bad o-rings in the 3pt control valve, or as difficult as rebuilding/replacing the PTO. If you're not leaking fluid externally, you're leaking it internally, the shop manual should give you a diagnostic tree or similar for troubleshooting. If the previous owner replaced hoses, they may have removed the power beyond valve(s) without knowing it, or connected the hoses wrong so you are just pushing fluid to the tank.

Get the shop manual, & trace out the schematics. Could be as simple as bad o-rings in the 3pt control valve, or as difficult as rebuilding/replacing the PTO. If you're not leaking fluid externally, you're leaking it internally, the shop manual should give you a diagnostic tree or similar for troubleshooting. If the previous owner replaced hoses, they may have removed the power beyond valve(s) without knowing it, or connected the hoses wrong so you are just pushing fluid to the tank.
my thoughts too Alex, I'm thinking there is leaking internally but won't know for sure until I find it. Test gauges will be a good start. Currently having terrible shoulder pain and difficult to do much with it, surgery scheduled two weeks from now and after that I'll be full after the problem