580E with 390 4 Cummins fuel solenoid.

/ 580E with 390 4 Cummins fuel solenoid. #1  

davebb

Tractor
Ford 4500, Case 580E skiploader
I put a test light on the terminal with the key on and it has power. Sometimes it starts and runs great other times it just cranks. It'll run on starting fluid but not stay running. I took the solenoid out and is pulls the valve in every time I put 12 volts to the thing. I put it back in and it runs but then started doing the same no start sometimes. Funny symptom is when I put a test light on the terminal and crank, it starts but remove the light and try again no start. Put the light back and it starts. It did this about 6 times in a row then it wouldn't start even with the test light on it.
I guess for a test I'll have to remove the spring loaded valve inside and it's spring and reassemble the solenoid without those and see if it starts every time.
Anyone ever run into this problem?

/ 580E with 390 4 Cummins fuel solenoid. #2  
I’ve never seen it personally.. but others say they have problems w the solenoid.. if u can take the guts out, u have a very old style solenoid and it may be weak.? The new style has non removable guts..
Takem out and see if it starts every time.. u can shut it down with the manual shut off lever on the top cover..

/ 580E with 390 4 Cummins fuel solenoid.
The new style has non removable guts..
Yes. That's what I have, non removable. I was able to remove just the rubber tip and that did the trick. Starts every time now.

/ 580E with 390 4 Cummins fuel solenoid. #4  
R u gonna leave it that way and use the manual sh-off.??

R u gonna leave it that way and use the manual sh-off.??
I was thinking of doing that but if I can get a new shut off solenoid for the right price and be assured it's not going to do the same thing, I'll be tempted to replace it. I saw that Tractor Supply has a shut off cable that worked for another person. Any idea where to find a solenoid?

/ 580E with 390 4 Cummins fuel solenoid. #6  
I can give u the p# but there’s several different ones..
Single screw in the center.
Single stud in the center.
Double spade connector..
If u can give me the pump #
I can look it up..
Ex: 3242F010

My parts book says it's a J904630. Found that on Amazon and it looks right. So since it was under $20.00 I ordered it.

/ 580E with 390 4 Cummins fuel solenoid. #9  
Make sure when u get it, it has an oring on the bottom..
If not, try to reuse your old one..
Good luck

/ 580E with 390 4 Cummins fuel solenoid. #10  
I put a test light on the terminal with the key on and it has power. Sometimes it starts and runs great other times it just cranks. It'll run on starting fluid but not stay running. I took the solenoid out and is pulls the valve in every time I put 12 volts to the thing. I put it back in and it runs but then started doing the same no start sometimes. Funny symptom is when I put a test light on the terminal and crank, it starts but remove the light and try again no start. Put the light back and it starts. It did this about 6 times in a row then it wouldn't start even with the test light on it.
I guess for a test I'll have to remove the spring loaded valve inside and it's spring and reassemble the solenoid without those and see if it starts every time.
Anyone ever run into this problem?
Yes I removed the solenoid and used a choke cable.