$50 Wood Shed

/ $50 Wood Shed #11  
That looks great awesome price too!

That shed of doom is crazy you tube has a few videos on it, The Shed of Doom - YouTube is good because you dont have to look through the forum to see its "construction".

/ $50 Wood Shed #12  
Thanks for the video link for the shed of doom, forgeblast.

As for the woodshed, I've often wondered if blowing snow accumulating on the stored wood is ever a problem in an open-sided shed like this. I used to store my wood outside and always had to knock a lot of snow off the wood...and later in the season some of it seemed to have absorbed substantial moisture from the melting snow. Has anybody else seen this as a problem? Is the solution wider eaves or just close in the sides more but provide indirect ventillation or what?

Bob

/ $50 Wood Shed
The snow issue is a good question. I've noticed that the snow covered wood "feels" wet, but I don't think the moisture penetrates. It seems to me it still burns well. Once I get the shed filled up I don't think I will have much snow in it. It faces south and is sheltered by close trees on the west and north which should eliminate most of the drifting issues. I'll get back to you in 6 months on how it's working out.

/ $50 Wood Shed #15  
You could always once it gets to winter put a tarp on the sides, or just the front.

/ $50 Wood Shed #16  
OK so you have a shed for this years wood how about year 2 and 3? Or you gonna do like me and just rotate your piles each year after you burn your winter wood? You do keep 3 years of wood on hand dont you? so that its dry right?

My wife got onto me this year and i finially got a metal carport so that i can keep my 3 years of wood under cover so that i dont have to constantly keep rotating my pile into the shed from out of it.

/ $50 Wood Shed
OK so you have a shed for this years wood how about year 2 and 3? Or you gonna do like me and just rotate your piles each year after you burn your winter wood? You do keep 3 years of wood on hand dont you? so that its dry right?

My wife got onto me this year and i finially got a metal carport so that i can keep my 3 years of wood under cover so that i dont have to constantly keep rotating my pile into the shed from out of it.

Man, I wish I could get three years ahead on wood. I don't fully heat with wood so this shed, full, will hold about 5 or 6 cords which is probably close to 2 years worth for me. I cut it into rounds and leave it in a pile until I get time to split it. I like to have it split a full year before I use it but sometimes, like this year, I get too busy and don't quite make it.

/ $50 Wood Shed #19  
that shed of doom looks just like its built on dirt!!

Yep, right smack on the bare ground. And this is in British Columbia, where it rains a lot...and I don't think they used any pressure-treated wood, either. Really amazing construction technique!

/ $50 Wood Shed #20  
For a while I've wanted a wood shed instead of just stacking firewood, but it's hard to justify spending money on a wood shed. From other projects I"ve collected a lot of salvage that I needed to get rid of so I came up with this idea. I have a lot of retainer wall blocks from some landscaping I ripped out. Part of my cedar deck went bad and I replaced it with composite, but I saved the better portions of the cedar. When I rebuilt a bridge I salvaged some treated lumber including some doubled 2x12s over 14 feet long.

I laid a foundation of concrete block, topped by 4x4s. I ripped down some of the 2x12s to make posts, beams and joists. I used the cedar decking for various other parts, including the roof and the roof joists. I reused a lot of deck screws I pulled out of the old deck but I did buy a box of deck screws and a box of galvanized nails. I also bought some rock to fill under the floor to discourage the groundhogs from taking up residence. Cost came in about $50 but I may splurge on a gallon of waterproofing for the roof.

View attachment 382267 View attachment 382269 View attachment 382270 View attachment 382271 View attachment 382272
Excellent job,looks great.