4320 Coolant Leak from Timing Cover advise please

/ 4320 Coolant Leak from Timing Cover advise please #1  

gbw

Bronze Member
The water pump issue I had is corrected. My tractor is a 4320, 2006 model, 950 hrs. I love it.

HOWEVER: I still have a leak, around the timing cover. Sealant (no gasket used), has failed. The Deere dealer estimates 16 - 22 rs. at $120 per, or nearly $3000 plus parts (if any). To basically install a gasket. Evidently they have one now.

To do this, seems the front axle and oil pan have to be removed before the timing cover can be removed. Does anyone know why the oil pan has to come off? something about a pickup tube but Im not clear why it as to be removed to allow the timing cover to come off. Its obvious why the axle as to come off if the pan does, the pan also serves as the rear front axle pivot support.

Front axle doesn't look too difficult, just careful setup and procedure. It's heavy.

But what about the pan? Once axle is gone, remove all pan bolts including those through the frame rails and 2 behind the bell housing. Pan looks like its must be very heavy, once bolts are gone does it come down easily or must the rails be spread? Any other tips? I'd be very grateful. Book says to remove engine but I cannot see that this is necessary.

I've seen other treads on this but I want to ask in case any new ideas or experience out there. Thanks,

/ 4320 Coolant Leak from Timing Cover advise please #2  
Reads like you are considering/planning doing this work yourself. Hope you take pics and bring us along for the ride.

/ 4320 Coolant Leak from Timing Cover advise please #3  
There are several methods that can be used to disassemble. The oil pan does need to come off. The oil pump is in the timing cover and the pickup tube is also bolted to the cover as well as bolted to the bottom of the engine block that can only be accessed by removing the pan. We have found that in our shop it works best by unbolting the frame from sides of oil pump and then you can roll front axle and frame away from the engine. Then oil pan and pickup tube can be removed. Then remove the timing cover. You will want to get a gasket to reinstall the cover. Deere now offers a gasket to replace the sealant that is proving to be a more reliable seal. There is a gasket kit made. Part number RE547148 for around $150.00. includes all gaskets and seals to do this repair.

/ 4320 Coolant Leak from Timing Cover advise please #4  
There are several methods that can be used to disassemble. The oil pan does need to come off. The oil pump is in the timing cover and the pickup tube is also bolted to the cover as well as bolted to the bottom of the engine block that can only be accessed by removing the pan. We have found that in our shop it works best by unbolting the frame from sides of oil pump and then you can roll front axle and frame away from the engine. Then oil pan and pickup tube can be removed. Then remove the timing cover. You will want to get a gasket to reinstall the cover. Deere now offers a gasket to replace the sealant that is proving to be a more reliable seal. There is a gasket kit made. Part number RE547148 for around $150.00. includes all gaskets and seals to do this repair.
I'm in the process of doing this repair. I have the gasket kit from deere but had a couple of questions is there any way to leave the ac compressor and lines hook up? It looks like there might be enough room for the cover to come off. Also with the deere kit it looks like there's 2 oil pan gaskets any idea where the other gaskets goes?

/ 4320 Coolant Leak from Timing Cover advise please #5  
I have posted on this repair a couple of times. I did it on my 4320/ 2006 model at about 1000 hrs. I now have 2500 Hrs on the tractor. Let me see how to repost this. Before I forget do install the thin brass shim if the cylinder head mating surface looks ok, that is not eroded from coolant. Installing that shim just adds another surface to leak.

/ 4320 Coolant Leak from Timing Cover advise please #6  
Another quick post you do not need to disconnect ac lines and or the oil coolant lines and its radiator. There is sufficient room to remove the fan assembly. Let me look for the details. one more thing you may want to replace the engine coolant fan bearing arrangement.

/ 4320 Coolant Leak from Timing Cover advise please #7  
GBW and Brad5541 see if you can search for this post by using this title,

Coolant leaking John Deere 4320 4520 4720 compact tractor.​

If not let me know and I can repost the material. I contains most of the important details for the repair. It a little wordy and I was a little annoyed that my JD tractor would need this amount of work to fix a coolant leak.

/ 4320 Coolant Leak from Timing Cover advise please #8  
The second oil pan gasket is for the 5 cylinder version of this engine.

/ 4320 Coolant Leak from Timing Cover advise please #9  
No need to remove the engine. There are 2 bolts from the bell housing that connect to the oil pan. They need to be removed to be able to remove the oil pan. I did not need to spread the frame rails, the pan dropped right down. It is heavy at 55 lbs. You need to clean the frame rails along side the oil pan. A lot of dirt and debris in there. If you don't get it all out it will drop into the oil pan on dis assembly and be there for the re assembly. I did what what a thought was a good job on the cleaning but I still needed to do more after the oil pan was removed. I washed out the oil pan before re assembly to remove the oil staining. There is a yellow sealant/paint applied to the casting before machining. You notice how much longer the engine oil appears to stay clean after running the tractor.

/ 4320 Coolant Leak from Timing Cover advise please #10  
More thoughts, since you have the front axle out it would be a good time to replace the pivot support bearings and thrust washer. They are a nylatron type of material. A reinforced nylon 66, I think. And also maybe replace the fan belt and tensioner. I did.