3-Point Hitch 3pt won't raise

/ 3pt won't raise #1  

wyevalleyfarm

Tractor
JD 4200
My 3pt stopped working. It is currently all the way down. I have looked and don't see why it won't work.

Please give me some advise on what to look for. The FEL works fine and it has enough oil.

/ 3pt won't raise #2  
Without knowing which model you have specific information may be hard to generate.

Rockshaft lever came loose from valve shaft / linkage.

someone disconnected your power beyond or it has come loose.

Limit control slipped and is fooling the valve into believing it is full up position.

Further questions? Is it making any noise? If you lift up the links will they stay?

/ 3pt won't raise #3  
wyevalleyfarm said:
My 3pt stopped working. It is currently all the way down. I have looked and don't see why it won't work.

Please give me some advise on what to look for. The FEL works fine and it has enough oil.

I had a similar situation few months ago and had to do series of test and minor repair to bring 3-p lift to life. The things you'll need to check.

1) do you have hyd pump flow? Clogged=no flow. you may have a screen in rear differential housing and a filter.
2) you may have hyd lift piston seal leaking or busted. Requires seal change, it is simple and very doable.
3) You may have hyd pump not pumping. removal and overhaul of the pump is not difficult and requires a pump seal kit.

In general the basics are all the same with minor differences between brands and age of the technology. You may find some of the tid bits usefull to you application. Below is the link to the couple of threads I started and goes thru my efforts to correct the problem with bunch of pics:)

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/nh-owning-operating/88973-sos-i-have-my-first.html

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/nh-owning-operating/90819-my-f-1700-testing-my.html

Last edited:
   / 3pt won't raise #4  
Check all of your hydraulic quick connectors. They can look connected and still not be seated correctly.

/ 3pt won't raise #5  
wyevalleyfarm said:

A few months ago I had intermittent 3PH (rockshaft) failure on my 3320, see:
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/showthread.php?p=966216#poststop

The dealer told me that the probable cause was that the brass filter screen at the input to the rockshaft assembly had blown out and a portion was stuck on the bypass valve not letting it close.

After a few more temporary failures, I took it to the dealer where they took the whole rockshaft assembly apart for inspection. No problem was found!

While there, I had them clean and lubricate the loader joystick linkage as the dump/curl was sticking. Sometimes the valve was stuck partially open and the bucket would just continue to curl on its own. The dealer tech who did the work told me that if the selective control valve was stuck partially activated calling for curl and the curl was at the limit, a valve opens dumping all fluid back to the sump with no fluid going to the rockshaft. With 10 hours of operation after the joystick linkage lube, no 3PH problems so far.

So here are two possibilities: Rockshaft bypass valve not closing or a sticking loader joystick selective control valve.

/ 3pt won't raise #6  
I had the same issue on my 3520 what happen to mine is some one turned down the hydraulic speed to low and it would not lift

/ 3pt won't raise
Thanks for the tips. The model is a 4200 with hydrostat tranny and the front loader works fine. The 3pt started going slow and then stopped.

I had the dealer change the hyd fluid a few months ago, it has 300 hrs on it.

I am a little worried about checking the hyd. I understand that you have to be very clean. I will pressure wash it and see what I can find.

I did try turning the 3pt drop control knob fully open and closed a few times. Made no difference.

I have the seat off, so I can see the linkages and they all appear to be fine. I am not sure how the tractor know that the 3pt is fully up though. I see that there is a link from the 3pt to the rockshaft that must be telling it where the 3pt is (up or down). Just not sure what it should be... All links look to be tight, so nothing came loose that I can see.

Last edited:
   / 3pt won't raise #8  
Hello

In some of the early 4200 they had a screen in the fitting at the rockshaft controll valve.This fit is easy to find there's a hard line that loops around the back of the seat. In the later 4200 there was a inline filter on that same line if they fill will debris the 3pt will slow or not work. one other problem is the 3pt valve mounting bolts can come loose and then it spits out the oring. but I would check the screen or inline filter first which ever you have.

/ 3pt won't raise
Stopped by the dealer. They suggest 2 things... there is a pin in the knob that controls the up/down [Part #3 in the Cylinder Head picture]
(it was fine), there is woodruff (sp) key on the shaft that in the cover on the left side that contains the valve so if you move the lever the valve will not open [Part #29 in the small picture](it was fine and the valve moved). Next I checked the hyd line that feeds the valve as suggested in the prior post. I didn't find any screen or filter. I did start up the tractor and hyd fluid came out the line. I wasn't able to undo the fitting (don't have the right wrench). So, now I am a bit stuck... You can't fix the valve (you have to replace it) but I don't want to do that until I can show it doesn't work. Somewhere, I read that the check valve [Part #13 in the Cylinder Head Picture] might be open. I am off to see if I can find a wrench to remove it. I figure if I don't see fluid out of the relief valve then the valve must not be working.

Attachments

• rockshaft cylinder head and piston.gif
    rockshaft cylinder head and piston.gif
    18.1 KB · Views: 6,614
  • Rockshaft Control Valve Linkage_small.gif
    Rockshaft Control Valve Linkage_small.gif
    7.4 KB · Views: 5,521
Last edited:
   / 3pt won't raise #10  
Did you ever solve this problem. I am having a similar one. What was your final view on the problem?