2 Wheel Tractor for Tough Brush Cutting

/ 2 Wheel Tractor for Tough Brush Cutting #1  

crashz

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L2501, JD LT150, DR Field Mower
Just wondering about a 2 wheel tractor for some of my smaller jobs that have unique challenges. I have a few customers now that have steep slopes, usually pocked with gopher holes and such. I was thinking that an older Gravely with brush cutter would be the ticket. Especially with the dual wheel option. How do they do on very steep slopes? For reference say as steep as 1:2.

This would also give me a second tractor for weekends when I have multiple jobs going.

/ 2 Wheel Tractor for Tough Brush Cutting #2  
I had a 12 hp (5665) Gravely. Could not physically handle it until I got steering brakes. Luckily, a local dealer that used to sell Gravelys had some steering brakes. After that, I could handle it with one hand on the steering handle.

I finally ended up with dual wheels but didn't use it much after that because I got the wife to agree to buy a 4wd tractor shortly after getting the dual wheels. It DID NOT have the traction for either going up hill or down hill consistently without slips and slides with only the 2 wheels.

4wd tractors are A LOT easier to manage, but they have their limits. There are spots on our hill behind the house that goes down to the creek where it is too steep.

If you really have steep or very uneven conditions, you need a tracked type vehicle like a Bobcat or one of the other two types that are lower to the ground (can't remember their names right now). Not sure they come with tracks.

Ralph

/ 2 Wheel Tractor for Tough Brush Cutting #3  
Looks up a BCS - maybe a 853 - it will drive a NICE HD brush hog or Flail mower (I run a flail) and I use it on slopes like you are talking about. Can run duels, tracks, spiked wheels, etc... LOTS of options and traction problems are easily solved if you look around. They also have steering brakes standard and are necessary in my opinion.

/ 2 Wheel Tractor for Tough Brush Cutting #4  
This one is 8HP with steering brakes,, the 8HP engine must weigh half what the 10 and larger horsepower engines weigh.

sbYMD8c.jpg

The lighter engine makes all the difference on steep grades.

Take the sulky off, this thing will almost climb trees,,

I have this identical machine with a 12HP engine, steering brakes, and all
That 12HP stays on more level ground,,

ejyyQFU.jpg

The one on the left is a 10HP,, I let my SIL use it almost exclusively,,

/ 2 Wheel Tractor for Tough Brush Cutting #5  
I kind of, sort of miss my Gravely Professional 12 Kohler, but also don't. It may have done a lot of work, but it was a LOT of work on your part to do that. And if the thing hit something, you risked broken ribs from those steering handles. I cut the front out of my brush cutter with a plasma, so i didn't have to go over brush to cut it. That was fine until I hit a stone and shattered the drive shaft in the mower. Nothing to do with my modificaion.

Also, cutting uphill, can be extremely dangerous, when doing back and forth type cutting. If that thing comes back at you, in neutral, you better be able to move fast.

DSC02664b.jpg

Selling photo, with finishing mower. Go Transit (Ontario Commuter Rail) used these extensively, which is where I got it. I bought an adapter that allowed me to use all kinds of old attachments.

/ 2 Wheel Tractor for Tough Brush Cutting #6  
I have used and owned Gravelys since I was eight years old. The best thing about them in difficult terrain is the control you have with the clutch system - perfect forward/reverse from full speed to creep. They are much harder to steer with duals, but the steering brake takes care of that. The 30" brush mower will cut almost anything you can drive over. I also own a BCS749, but only for tilling. I wouldn't want to be juggling the controls on a steep maneuver at the edge of the pond, but some may be more comfortable with the BCS controls than I am. I have recently purchased a 4500P Ventrac and use it exclusively for the rough stuff and steep terrain. I wish I have bought it years ago. Michael

/ 2 Wheel Tractor for Tough Brush Cutting #7  
Just wondering about a 2 wheel tractor for some of my smaller jobs that have unique challenges. I have a few customers now that have steep slopes, usually pocked with gopher holes and such. I was thinking that an older Gravely with brush cutter would be the ticket. <snip>

When I have cut brush on "rough" surfaces (woodchuck burrows; displaced stones; old, half-rotted stumps; roots; etc.) the most limiting factor with my 2-wheel Goldoni has been its low ground clearance. The machine often ends up suspended from the front of the implement (sickle bar or caster wheels of rotary deck) and the motor protection bar that extends beyond the recoil starter. The ag tires just churn the "fluff" until I can wrestle the machine to where the tires have enough traction to grab again. The steering clutches are of limited use; usually it involves lifting on the handlebars and rotating the tractor around the front of the implement. And the Goldoni is lighter than a Gravely.

/ 2 Wheel Tractor for Tough Brush Cutting #8  
In rough terrain the low ground clearance on my BCS 853 I did get hung up a number of times straddling an unseen log. Was always able to wrestle it off OK. I think it would be good for all sorts of terrain beyond what a four wheeler can handle, but each situation is different and their are a wide array of wheel options that provide better footing in different terrain. For me the narrow width I have with two Ag tires is a big plus for clearing overgrown brush in the woods.

/ 2 Wheel Tractor for Tough Brush Cutting #9  
If you run the 853 in the woods the larger tires are a huge asset. I find I can get the 2 wheel tractor into places I cant safely get my 4 wheel tractors. The ground clearance is not as good as my bigger tractor but it super safe near creeks and weird slopes where the bug tractor may try and go wheels up.

/ 2 Wheel Tractor for Tough Brush Cutting #10  
I waiting a berta flail mower for my grillo g 110 with gx 390.I assume your bcs 853 is equipt with a honda gx engine.How steep an angle will work on ?