2 Stage Snowblower on a Gravel Drive (How To)

/ 2 Stage Snowblower on a Gravel Drive (How To) #3  

pronovost makes this option for my blower- too bad my drive is paved​

HYDRAULIC WHEELS​

Hydraulic wheels permit using the snowblower at a constant height from the ground without scraping it.
  • Practical to avoid blowing gravel.
  • Permit snowblowing on a grassy surface while avoiding direct contact of the blade with the ground.
Contact your Pronovost dealer to obtain a quote for your specific requirements.
*Available only on a new snowblower made in production.
Roues Wheels 1

/ 2 Stage Snowblower on a Gravel Drive (How To) #4  
So far I've had great luck after modifying my ATV snowblower by notching and welding a pipe to the cutting edge definitely works better than maxing out the skids on softer ground, I'm clearing a gravel driveway on a hill and most of my front yard.

/ 2 Stage Snowblower on a Gravel Drive (How To) #6  
I just drive on the snow until it's got a nice thick layer..then I blow/plow. Just because you have a snow removal Device dosnt mean you need to use it every storm.

/ 2 Stage Snowblower on a Gravel Drive (How To) #7  
Glad you “found” that video. Hopefully it wasn’t too hard to find seeing how you made it.

..but a nice 7 minute video to say: “Make bigger skid shoes from wood.” Congrats, you got my click.

Last edited:
   / 2 Stage Snowblower on a Gravel Drive (How To) #8  
So far I've had great luck after modifying my ATV snowblower by notching and welding a pipe to the cutting edge definitely works better than maxing out the skids on softer ground, I'm clearing a gravel driveway on a hill and most of my front yard.
I think I will try this! I like the idea of a rounded edge, it may prevent a lot of gravel throw!

/ 2 Stage Snowblower on a Gravel Drive (How To) #9  
No matter what skid shoes you use it still disturbs gravel. That's why i put wheels on all my snowblowers. That includes 3pt snowblower. Keeps constant 2" space above ground and you can change it by tilting blower edge

/ 2 Stage Snowblower on a Gravel Drive (How To) #10  
I have big skis my buddy made, and rear PTO blower sits 3.5” above the gravel. I like a nice packed down perma-snow base on my gravel. So in the early part of the season I do nothing unless I get over four or five inches of snow then I blow the top off. Usually we get dribs and drabs and I can build a base. The rear blower in on in case I get a large storm or powder. It’s rare. One winter three years ago we got 28” of powder so it was a snow blowing event. Some winters go by and I do not use the blower in upstate NY. If I were to get a nice packed down snow/ice perma-base, I can unbolt my skids and drop the blower down and clean it up. I never get that for long bc the freeze/thaw/sun melts it away. We simply don’t get the snow here in the Mohawk Valley region like when I was a kid in the 60-70’s. Our average is 58” between Nov and April and so far this winter we have had lot of rain and 5” of snow. True story. It’s like an El Nino year from the 1990’s.