1988 John Deere F935 PTO will not stay engaged

/ 1988 John Deere F935 PTO will not stay engaged #1  

madjack69

Tractor
1988 John Deere F935
I purchased this mower a few years ago now and have used it without any issues except for regular maintenance. One day I went out to use it and the PTO would not stay engaged. It engages when you push the lever but as soon as you let the lever go the PTO disengages. I tried checking everything I could think off as well as use the manual but I can seem to get it to stay engaged. I ended up putting a bungee cord on the lever when I want to use the mower and just unhook it when I’m not mowing. If you have any suggestions on what to check it would be appreciated.

/ 1988 John Deere F935 PTO will not stay engaged #2  
madjack - welcome to TBN 📣

I can not help you, but I'm sure that someone will help you out.

Richard

/ 1988 John Deere F935 PTO will not stay engaged #3  
Did you ever figure out why your PTO wouldn't stay engaged? I have the same issue.

/ 1988 John Deere F935 PTO will not stay engaged #4  
Raise the seat forward and look down for a rod moving when you move the PTO engage lever. At the end of the rod is a round plate. This plate hits the holding solenoid and keeps the lever engaged. Grass and flack seem to attract to to this area. Blow clean with compressed air. Next, key on engine off, seat switch bypassed, push lever forward. Does it stick to the solenoid? Does it feel like it's trying to stick? If so adjust plate closer to solenoid. There is an electrical PTO switch that gets worn and comes out of adjustment, I believe is near the solenoid. This activates when the seat switch is engaged to start a timed delay to shut down. If this is out of adjustment, the computer sees the OPC system has been interrupted, and keeps power off to the solenoid. Check for power at the solenoid connector.