1984 Satoh S650G - Is it worth it, and how about a loader?

/ 1984 Satoh S650G - Is it worth it, and how about a loader? #1  

dmizesr

Tractor
1984 Satoh S560G Bison
Hello friends. I'm new here and I have a couple of questions. I just bought 3.5 acres in Missouri and I'm looking at a 1985 Satoh S650G Bison. It has 6166 hours, inline 4, 3 point hitch, runs well according to the seller, and it's $2750. So, 1) is that a good deal? and 2) Is there a list of loaders somewhere that would fit that tractor with little or no modification? Thanks in advance for the help.

/ 1984 Satoh S650G - Is it worth it, and how about a loader? #2  

Satoh Bison S650​

Satoh Bison S650 tractor photo
1973 - 1983
Compact Utility tractor
Series:S550Bison S650
Production
Manufacturer:Satoh
Type:Compact Utility tractor
Factory:Japan
Mechanical
Chassis:4x2 2WD
Final drives:spur gear
Steering:manual
Brakes:differential mechanical internal expanding shoe
Cab:Open operator station.
Transmission:6-speed unsynchronized gear

Last edited:
   / 1984 Satoh S650G - Is it worth it, and how about a loader? #3  
This is a gas engine tractor. 6,000+ hours is quite a lot of use for a gas engine tractor.

Are you adept at troubleshooting and mechanical repairs? Do you have metric tools?

Parts for 40+ year old orphan-brand tractors are very thin. (($2,750 would be a HIGH price for yard art.))

Can you operate equipment with a traditional clutch and gear transmission? Shop clutch rebuilds are $1,500 in low cost rural Florida.

Manual steering gets old fast.

2-WD tractors often lack the necessary traction to fill a loader bucket with dirt.

Aftermarket Loaders are available for most tractors. I will guess your cost at $5,000 delivered.

LINK: Front-End Loader - Compact Tractor Aftermarket Loader Suppliers

You would likely need a new, higher capacity hydraulic pump, joystick and plumbing, +$2,000.

Plus labor for installation.

CAVEAT EMPTOR​

Last edited:
   / 1984 Satoh S650G - Is it worth it, and how about a loader? #4  

Satoh Bison S650​

LINK: TractorData.com Satoh Bison S650 tractor information

T-B-N ARCHIVE THREADS ON ADDING A LOADER:

Add Loader site:tractorbynet.com

Last edited:
   / 1984 Satoh S650G - Is it worth it, and how about a loader? #5  
There are alot of S650 tractors running yet. It was the Japanese tractor widely marketed in the US. I have over 10 S650 parts tractor on my lot. I also have a used loader & a powersteering kit. Engine overhaul parts are getting scarce.

/ 1984 Satoh S650G - Is it worth it, and how about a loader? #6  
The FEL for my Mitsubishi MT300D was custom made by Schwartz in Long Lake MN, they’re out there hopefully!

/ 1984 Satoh S650G - Is it worth it, and how about a loader? #7  
At 40 years old and 6 thousand hours, any tractor is going to have its own individual personality. Might be good, might be worn out. And Len said parts are getting scarce.

$2,750 is a decent price IF its in good condition, ready to run another several years without major drama. Only a very careful inspection can determine if it is this, or will just be a frustration maker.

In any case that is now a rare model so any wait for parts might be lengthy. For hobby use, NBD. If you might have a critical need - remove storm damage or something - you might want to pay a little more for a more common tractor.

I own a couple of 40 year old Yanmars and they are not a problem at all. But YMMV.

/ 1984 Satoh S650G - Is it worth it, and how about a loader? #8  
The FEL for my Mitsubishi MT300D was custom made by Schwartz in Long Lake MN, they’re out there hopefully!
Schwartz is no longer in business.

/ 1984 Satoh S650G - Is it worth it, and how about a loader? #9  
What is your opinion of a Schwartz loader?

/ 1984 Satoh S650G - Is it worth it, and how about a loader? #10  
They are a good loader. Does yours have a front pump?