1962 IH 3414 Rim how to repair ?

/ 1962 IH 3414 Rim how to repair ? #1  

Vmax540

Bronze Member
Tractor
2009 TYM T330
Hello, 1962 IH 3414 filled with calcium(?) leaking around valve stem. How to repair, can it be welded, do they make repair patches ? Thanks for any help, Chuck Schettler Shippenville PA.

Attachments

• 694796738.jpg
    694796738.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 79
   / 1962 IH 3414 Rim how to repair ? #2  
They can be repaired, but be ready for more repair work then anticipated.
I have seen patch pieces cut from other rims and welded in, my last one I used a machine bushing as a valve stem hole and welded and ground smooth along with several beads of weld in different areas including building areas back that disappeared from the weld.
rim 2a.jpg
rim 1 (2).jpg

rim 3 (2).jpg

rim 4a.jpg

rim 5a.jpg

rim 6 (2).jpg

Now the rim on the other side has about a 4" crack visible running from the corroded out valve stem hole.
I think that I will be looking for a new rim, I'm getting to damned old to mess around for several hours welding and grinding again.
The last one was close to 8 hours of repair and wire brushing (grinder) to find and fix all the bad spots, then a couple of days for priming and painting then letting it cure before mounting the tire.

/ 1962 IH 3414 Rim how to repair ? #3  
Have drilled a hole on the opposite side of the rim for the valve stem and welded a patch over the original rotted stem hole, not a show piece but it worked.

/ 1962 IH 3414 Rim how to repair ?
I was hoping to repair/weld without removing the tire... probably not possible. Now, if someone would make glue on patches with today's glues this might just be possible. Thanks for the replies.

/ 1962 IH 3414 Rim how to repair ? #5  
Most calcium filled tires are tubed. Once they get broken down the rust from the rim is usually embedded in the tube. Every time I've tried to reuse a tube with rust embedded I've been back into a couple of times repair tube leaks. I now just bite the bullet and buy the $80-$100 tube wire brush the rim good and remount with a new tube. Todays tubes are maybe half the thickness of the old tube also.

/ 1962 IH 3414 Rim how to repair ? #6  
I fixed up my dad's IH "M" that had some serious rusty rims from prior being filled with calcium cloride. Similar to what LouNY experienced. A donor rim was needed for my repairs. Here's what the rims looked like:
Salt Rust.jpg

Donor rim and one recipient:
DCP_4495.JPG DCP_4504.JPG

Thin spots were built up with the welder or patches welded in place. Valve stem hole was relocated on one wheel. Sandblasted and painted.
DCP_4558.JPG

New tubes installed....all work done with large tire irons and spoons.....l was younger back then, though.
DCP_4574.JPG DCP_4620.JPG

Attachments

• IHM Wheel Repair.jpg
    IHM Wheel Repair.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 78
   / 1962 IH 3414 Rim how to repair ? #7  
Rims rust out even without fluid in tires, I have had to replace 3 rims on my 72 years old Ford 8n because of rust.

/ 1962 IH 3414 Rim how to repair ? #8  
Price a new rim before messing with old one.

yes, you will likely need a new tube if there is metal embedded in it. Only worse than changing the rear rim once is having to do it a second time and now you've leaked fluid onto the new metal.

/ 1962 IH 3414 Rim how to repair ?
Thank you all !

/ 1962 IH 3414 Rim how to repair ? #10  
I just found a new rim for my 574, Cross Creek Tractors had the best pricing that I found just over $300 shipped for a 14"x30" outer rim section.