1952 Ford 8n (w/clutch) clicking/ratcheting noise

/ 1952 Ford 8n (w/clutch) clicking/ratcheting noise #1  

williamhutchinson44

Bronze Member
Tractor
Ford 5000, 8n sidemount, 4500 backhoe
I have a 1952 8n that I've been using for the past 3 months. Besides some carb issues that were an easy fix, it's been Damm near turn key everytime. Today while I was mowing I started hearing the PTO start clicking. I do have that adapter clutch and it seems to be greased. There is a fair amount of play in it tho. The noise happens with the pto spins clock wise. With or without load, the pto clicks every half turn. When disengaged and spun clockwise, (looking at the rear of the tractor) by hand it makes the clicking noise as well. When spun counter clockwise, it does not make any noise at all. The noise sounds like it is comming from shaft or cluth, it doesn't not sound like it's comming from in the case somewhere. As far as I can tell the pto is running as it always does, with a new sound. What could be the culprit?

/ 1952 Ford 8n (w/clutch) clicking/ratcheting noise
I have a video of it but can't figure out how to post here.

Last edited:
   / 1952 Ford 8n (w/clutch) clicking/ratcheting noise #4  
That is a typical noise made by the overrun clutch which you MUST have on the tractor if you run a bush hog or other similar type of equipment for yours and every ones safety. I usually replaced mine if/when they got to having a lot of looseness/slop. The way to make sure this is your problem is to remove the overrun clutch, take out the grease fitting and the plug opposite it, then use a punch to drive out the roll pin. It should then slip off the tractor.

/ 1952 Ford 8n (w/clutch) clicking/ratcheting noise
I never got a notification anyone replied to this I greased the hell out of it and no more noise! Thanks