1517 Reverse safety switch?

/ 1517 Reverse safety switch? #1  

rwahlers

I just bought a new CC 1517 March 6, 2002. They told me they just came out with the 1500 series this year. So far I like it very much execpt for one bad feature they put on it and that is the disengageing of the blades when going in reverse.

My Q is how do you disable this annoying feature? If you reply with an answer please be very specific on who to do it cause I don't want to void my warrenty. If there is any snipping of wires please send me schematics by email.

Thanks,
Ronald

/ 1517 Reverse safety switch? #2  
Ronald, I don't know on your machine, but when I bought a Cub in '95, I insisted that the dealer disconnect that feature. He claimed he couldn't; that it would be illegal, but could show me which wire to just unplug on the lower left side of the engine./w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

/ 1517 Reverse safety switch?
Thanks for the reply,
I asked the same question to the dealer. He said he couldn't show me and it would be against the companys policy to show me how to disconnect it.

What I'm thinking of doing is taking it back and telling them if they don't either show me how or do it themselves then I don't want it at all. (I have 30 days to return it regardless) What you think should I do that or not? ? I think if they don't show me they will be loosing a sale.

If you find out anything please let me know.

Thanks,
Ronald

/ 1517 Reverse safety switch? #4  
Ronald, I don't know, but suspect if you let the dealer know you have no use the mower unless that feature is disabled, he'll find a way. The owner of the business where I bought mine told a mechanic to "show" me how to do it, but in reality the mechanic just did it and said he'd deny it if I told anyone.

/ 1517 Reverse safety switch? #5  
Just follow the rod from the peddal to the rear and you will see a switch that disengages the PTO when you press the reverse peddal. Just unplug it and the PTO should stay engaged while in reverse.

I hope this helps.

Billy_Bob

/ 1517 Reverse safety switch?
Thanks alot that did the trick. Very easy and easy to put back too.

Thanks,
Ronald

/ 1517 Reverse safety switch? #7  
Readers: Please do not put pressure on your dealer to disable safety features such as the No-Mow-In-Reverse or the Operator-Presence-Seat-Switch. In the event an accident did occur, a lawyer would just love to go after a dealership. And trust me, the assets of a dealership are much more valuable than the profit on a single lawn tractor.

/ 1517 Reverse safety switch? #8  
Mr. Alderman,

I am for safety and very glad they do put all the safety features on newer lawn tractors. But don't you think it's alittle annoying haveing to reengage the blades when you barely touch the reverse pedal?

This is just my .2 cents worth.

I think if the buyer wants something and they need it to do what they want the dealer should a least tell them how to disable features and then have the buyer to sign a contract stating that the dealer will not be responsible for any injuries that may occur.

Again I am for safety and very glad they do put all the safety features on newer lawn tractors.

READERS: Be very careful if you do any safety modifications.

/ 1517 Reverse safety switch? #9  
As a dealer we have to be very careful with safety features. We are not allowed to modify ROPS bars, safety shields, switched, etc. Our lawyers advise us to NEVER modify. Even if the customer signs a disclaimer and “promises” to never sue if an accident does happen. You may not be inclined to sue but your insurance company would LOVE to. And even our Equipment Dealers Association would not be able to defend us against a lawsuit and subsequent judgement.I do not like to preach but I'd ask you to not pressure your dealer with losing a sale if he doen't comply with your demands.

/ 1517 Reverse safety switch? #10  
My CC dealer informed me that if they get a tractor in for service and the safety devices have been disabled, they are obliged to re-connect them before letting the customer have the tractor back.