Tractors and wood! Show your pics

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #21,561  
Haven't heard from him in a while, but I'm sure Hunt is just sitting there, enjoying that South Carolina weather, listening to all of us!!

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #21,562  
Haven't heard from him in a while, but I'm sure Hunt is just sitting there, enjoying that South Carolina weather, listening to all of us!!
Floating in his pool…

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #21,563  
Liking the log rest I added to my splitter, I’m thinking it needs a little more space for more logs. I lower the splitter, roll rounds onto the rest then raise the splitter to a good working height. Big improvement, sure helping my back.
Man, that is one serious splitter!! How tall is that wedge?

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #21,564  
Man, that is one serious splitter!! How tall is that wedge?
Thanks Oaktree,
08B72491-8B8D-40DB-AF19-88A462D7EDE8.jpeg
29465B2C-1BAC-445F-A1AD-E3810C6B7ADC.jpeg
EDE5FE9A-0CF0-4FC1-8BFD-7782ED005637.jpeg
It’s a monster. 12” tall 10” wide, runs off PTO.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #21,565  
My "big" saw is a 60 cc saw with a 20" bar which meets my day in day out needs very well. I also use a 50 cc saw with 16" bar - quick, light, and nimble. Once in a while I wish I had a bigger saw. Like when I cut pine, which isn't that often. A 572XP would be nice but I just can't justify it. I make due.

P1190818.JPG

A couple weeks ago I saw on CL a used 24" bar and skip chain that would fit my 359 and bought it. It was cheap enough for an experiment. I am getting into some bigger fir so I put it on today to give it a try. A normal chain has a tooth every other drive link. A skip chain has a tooth every 3rd drive link. The idea is that with the teeth spaced further apart it allows a smaller saw to stay in the power curve when a long bar is is buried in wood.

SkipChain.JPG

The first tree didn't have much hinge and went a little left and hung up.

P1020041-2.JPG

So I winched it off the stump - doesn't look promising. Bigger isn't necessarily better when it come to our fir.

P1020043-1.JPG

By the time I got to good wood there wasn't much left. Glad I don't get many this bad.

P1020045-1.JPG

The best one.

P1020049-1.JPG

I was worried the saw would be nose heavy but it was actually well balanced and comfortable to handle. It cut fine but that stuff did not make much of a cutting test.

gg

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #21,566  
^^^^
Even the top is bigger than my fir. I cut a white spruce a few years back which looked just like that fir. I'd been driving past it for years as it was on the edge of one of my main trails. I hated to cut it but needed to finish a load of studwood. Once I got it on the ground I realized it had just been taking up space for all of those years. Now we have a pulp market but back then we didn't so that tree is setting in the woods, rotting.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #21,567  
I only run skip on my 32" bar. On my 25" bar I have both skip and regular. On my 20" and 16" bars I only have regular. 32" and 25" are on a 70cc. The 20" and 16" are on a 50cc.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #21,568  
I only run skip on my 32" bar. On my 25" bar I have both skip and regular. On my 20" and 16" bars I only have regular. 32" and 25" are on a 70cc. The 20" and 16" are on a 50cc.
Square cut on your skip? That's how i used to do skip. Skip is nice to keep from clogging your cut.

I just make do with my 16" stihl, though sometimes i wished i had larger one would make things a bit faster and easier.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #21,569  
Yes, the skips are full chisel, square. I generally prefer full chisel on the longer two bars and semi chisel on the shorter two bars. If I have the larger saw and bar I am typically in a big cut and don't have to worry about the grabbiness of a full chisel, I just want the fastest cut. When limbing or small cutting I don't like the saw chain to be grabby and get hung up on everything.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #21,570  
Yes, the skips are full chisel, square. I generally prefer full chisel on the longer two bars and semi chisel on the shorter two bars. If I have the larger saw and bar I am typically in a big cut and don't have to worry about the grabbiness of a full chisel, I just want the fastest cut. When limbing or small cutting I don't like the saw chain to be grabby and get hung up on everything.
So if I'm following you correctly, you don't use any full chisel, round ground? It's either full chisel square ground or semi chisel?

I use all full chisel round-ground (or in my case round-filed). I've tried full chisel square ground and really liked it, but I like to hand-sharpen in the woods (rather than swap chains when one starts to lose its edge). I've never really gotten good at hand filing square ground chain, and my eyesight is not good enough to really see how that corner is doing, so I stick with the round files.