Surging

/ Surging #1  

lawnman57

Tractor
Cub cadet
Have a 2015 CC with a courage 23 Kohler twin and since new I've never had a single issue with it till now. Went to mow for the 2nd time this year and motor is hunting/ surging. I did do my due dilagents and completely serviced the machine. So did some reading and replaced everything that's has to do with fuel. New filter fresh fuel new fuel pump new lines new carb now I can get it to idle but when I throttle it up same thing. So I thinking vacume leak, did all the std checks with water bottle , nothing took an inspection motor to look at bottom side of head and lot of carbon tracing around exhaust port on #2 cylinder so now I'm doing head gaskets ,oh wait top end kit from Kohler is no longer available. So one any idea where to get correct parts and two possible that I'm chasing my tail. Thoughts?

/ Surging #2  
Mine was doing the same thing..
Come to find out, after a face full of gasoline, it was a bug in the tank outlet to the carb..
I looked in the tank and saw “something” strange..
I was looking in the top of the tank when I was back blowing it thru the feed line..
DONT MAKE THAT MISTAKE.!! 🤮
Regulate your air pressure..
Good luck

/ Surging #3  
Pull the output side of the fuel pump and route it into a container. Crank the engine to see if you get a strong steady flow. Some do, some don't - even brand new ones.

/ Surging #4  
I'm doing head gaskets ,oh wait top end kit from Kohler is no longer available. So one any idea where to get correct parts

Can you give us the engine make, model and part number ?

Then maybe we can help.

And yes, you are on a wild goose chase looking into the top end. Sounds more like an adjustment needed on the carb.

Richard

/ Surging #5  
I had surging on my Black Craftsman Professional with the 24hp Briggs engine two years back. Ran some "Mechanic in a bottle" through it and within minutes was working perfectly again and has since. Just some junk in the wrong place. Probably why they sell it at the Home Depot and Lowes lol.

/ Surging #6  
Can you give us the engine make, model and part number ?

Then maybe we can help.

And yes, you are on a wild goose chase looking into the top end. Sounds more like an adjustment needed on the carb.

Richard
No adjustment on those carbs. But if the OP replaced all those parts sounds like Chinese knockoff parts which those carbs can be hit and miss. So new carb could still be part of the issue. And yes we need the model and spec of the engine to assist further.

/ Surging #7  
I had the same problem with my Legacy with a Kawi. it was always the carb. Like Randy said Chinesiumn carbs can be worse than a 20-year-old original. James Condon on You Tube works on small engine carbs all the time and he will attest to that. His videos were very helpful in carb rebuilding. If you have the original carb, give it a thorough cleaning, make shure all gaskets are sealing good and put that back on. Good luck.🍻