Recommendations/Warnings - Cub Cadet ZTXS5 Series ZT Mowers

/ Recommendations/Warnings - Cub Cadet ZTXS5 Series ZT Mowers #51  
That's one thing that blows me away -- it's impossible to find a list of the 'upgrades' as you go up the product lines. And it's impossible to find a dealer that has all in stock (4, 5, 6) that you could actively look at and compare.

What about the 6 is worth $1k to you? Seat upgrade? Not sure wider tires will make much diff (less likely to leave ruts?)

/ Recommendations/Warnings - Cub Cadet ZTXS5 Series ZT Mowers #52  
I went to a dealer and have the low down on two Ultima Cub Cadet models, the one Runner and we've been discussing, and its next in line up the model number sibling.

Differences between ZTXS5 and ZTXS6 (which is Model Number 47RICHB8A10) - the 6 has one inch wider rear tires, 1.5 more HP in a different Kawasaki engine, bigger “charged” trannys (whatever that means), 15 versus 12 amp charging system, and...the 6 has a suspension seat upgrade which my salesman said was really nice. You dial in a comfort level - a firmness ride level - I guess. I sat in a ZTXS5 and liked the ergonomics. They didn't have a 6 for me to look at and play with the seat, but I'm leaning towards the 6. Other than the above items they are the same machines.

Difference in price is about $1,000-$1,500, and neither is inexpensive.
You can compare the difference in specifications on the Cub Cadet website.

/ Recommendations/Warnings - Cub Cadet ZTXS5 Series ZT Mowers #53  
I pulled the trigger on an Ultima ZTXS5 54. Should be delivered sometime today. Have no idea how this will go, whole new adventure for me. My conditions are slightly beyond those limits specified for this model by Cub Cadet, i.e., some 24 degree side slopes, so I will be acting as "test pilot" to some extent.

Will be starting a new thread in this section with details in near future.

/ Recommendations/Warnings - Cub Cadet ZTXS5 Series ZT Mowers #54  
I pulled the trigger on an Ultima ZTXS5 54. Should be delivered sometime today. Have no idea how this will go, whole new adventure for me. My conditions are slightly beyond those limits specified for this model by Cub Cadet, i.e., some 24 degree side slopes, so I will be acting as "test pilot" to some extent.

Will be starting a new thread in this section with details in near future.
Congrats on the purchase! Do start a thread on your experience with it. My 7 year old CC Z Force SZ (60 inch deck) is a good machine, but no doubt all these Ultima series CC's are a step up. In a post above someone said a "suspension seat" can be put on a ZTXS5 for about $180. I did get an upgraded seat for my SZ right away - back then it retailed for $400, but the dealer sold it to me for $295.

The experienced salesperson, in comparing the ZTXS5 and ZTXS6 said for my residential use mowing 4 acres (some with slopes like yours) said he didn't think the tranny, engine, or amp system differences would result in any less use to me over the next 20 years.

/ Recommendations/Warnings - Cub Cadet ZTXS5 Series ZT Mowers #55  
You can compare the difference in specifications on the Cub Cadet website.

Good post 1manyrocks. I did that, and wrote down the differences when I went to the dealership. The thing that wasn't listed in the "compare" feature of the CC website was that the 6 has a "suspension" seat. Both have high back seats, with some kind of dampening/comfort feature

/ Recommendations/Warnings - Cub Cadet ZTXS5 Series ZT Mowers #56  
That's one thing that blows me away -- it's impossible to find a list of the 'upgrades' as you go up the product lines. And it's impossible to find a dealer that has all in stock (4, 5, 6) that you could actively look at and compare.

What about the 6 is worth $1k to you? Seat upgrade? Not sure wider tires will make much diff (less likely to leave ruts?)
Yours is the right question. I could go with either model and I'm sure I'd be pretty happy.

These Ultima machines weigh 1,000 pounds. With my older Z Force SZ after a couple of years I had the dealership put on knobbier rear tires (the OEM tires weren't appreciably worn though). The SZ model weighs 850 pounds. I think they were actually Quad tires which fit the CC's wheels. They were smooth enough not to affect the lawn and they gave much better traction going up hills. I'm thinking wider can't be a bad thing so that is one factor for the 6.

My SZ has a Kawasaki 24 HP engine. Doesn't appreciatively labor going up hills so the 5's 24 HP Kawasaki should do fine. But, an extra 1.5 HP on a 6 with the extra 250 pounds of the frame also not a bad thing.

I dunno what "charged" means with the 6's slightly larger cubic inch transmissions, but I do a lot of zero turns on hillsides. An aside here...back when I was discussing buying the SZ 8 years ago with the salesperson and asking about reliability he commented that somebody with a high time CC zero turn had complained their right side tranny had needed to be replaced before its left side. He said that was because they guy had kept driving in left hand circles while mowing, as IF that was a weird thing to do. Ummmmm, the grass ejection port is on the right side of these mowers so of course people are going to drive mostly in left turns. If you mow with right turns without a bagger your clippings will pile up (especially when turning) and you'll be eating them. I thought that was funny, but, I will admit I do try and turn right when I can *grin*.

I digress. Maybe the "charged" larger trannys will last longer with me making mostly left turns. Not a bad thing.

And the suspension seat. I'm 68 years young and I hope this is my last mower purchase that will get me to 88 or maybe longer. Wife 10 years younger sometimes mows too, and she has some back pain from time to time. But, I'm going to ask the salesperson how much it would cost to install the 6's seat on the 5. If it is about $180 that might be worth saving $800 and going with the 5.

/ Recommendations/Warnings - Cub Cadet ZTXS5 Series ZT Mowers #57  
Yours is the right question. I could go with either model and I'm sure I'd be pretty happy.

These Ultima machines weigh 1,000 pounds. With my older Z Force SZ after a couple of years I had the dealership put on knobbier rear tires (the OEM tires weren't appreciably worn though). The SZ model weighs 850 pounds. I think they were actually Quad tires which fit the CC's wheels. They were smooth enough not to affect the lawn and they gave much better traction going up hills. I'm thinking wider can't be a bad thing so that is one factor for the 6.

Looking at the specs, I'm pretty sure the difference in tires/wheels across the lines is DIAMETER, not WIDTH. Here's what cub cadet says for rear tires (fronts are all the same):

ZTXS4: 22"x 12"-12"
ZTXS5: 23"x 12"-12"
ZTXS6: 24"x 12"-12"

My understanding of the measurements means the tire will have a larger diamater and higher sidewall as the rim size is the same (12" diameter rim, 12" wide tire). Which should lead to a cushier ride at least?

I'd be surprised if they can put the 6's seat on a 5, at least not cheaply. Do share what you hear back if you ask them! If your lawn is anything like mine (bumpy), a better seat is worth it. I'm only in my 40s and feal beat up after mowing.

/ Recommendations/Warnings - Cub Cadet ZTXS5 Series ZT Mowers #58  
Looking at the specs, I'm pretty sure the difference in tires/wheels across the lines is DIAMETER, not WIDTH. Here's what cub cadet says for rear tires (fronts are all the same):

ZTXS4: 22"x 12"-12"
ZTXS5: 23"x 12"-12"
ZTXS6: 24"x 12"-12"

My understanding of the measurements means the tire will have a larger diamater and higher sidewall as the rim size is the same (12" diameter rim, 12" wide tire). Which should lead to a cushier ride at least?

I'd be surprised if they can put the 6's seat on a 5, at least not cheaply. Do share what you hear back if you ask them! If your lawn is anything like mine (bumpy), a better seat is worth it. I'm only in my 40s and feal beat up after mowing.
That is my understanding as well. This tire size thing mystifies me. CC says the tire size is 23 x 12 x 12. However, looking at the Parts section of the CC web site, they say the rim is a "12 x 9". The tires are listed as Carlisle (now Carlstar) Turfmaster Plus, but Carlstar says the dimension of the tire is 23.9 x 11.5 x 9.5.

The reason I'm even looking at these numbers is because I'm thinking ahead what I might do if I see any traction problems with stock tires. Looking for something knobbier than the stock tires, but not having much luck finding the size.

Thinking of something like this Versa Turf Versa Turf Tire, but in order to get the same actual dimensions as the stock tire, you have to get the one Carlstar lists as 24 x 12R12.

I'm completely confused. Guess I need to just see how the stock tires work and go from there.

/ Recommendations/Warnings - Cub Cadet ZTXS5 Series ZT Mowers #59  
I suspect a 12" wide tire will fit on a narrower rim (not sure if 9" though?)

Similar to car/truck tires where you buy tires based on section width and they tell you the rim width range they work on (and on which size rim the advertised section width was measured on).