R1 VS R4 massey 1547

/ R1 VS R4 massey 1547 #1  

moparguy55

Tractor
Massry fergusson 1547
Hello

Tried an old 8 foot wide tow behind disc harrow with 2 rows on my cabbed 1547 hst 4wd with R4 that have seen better days that have calcium in them. Have 18 acres to turn over.

Maybe im expecting too much from it. But anymore than 4 inches of soft terrain and its stuck. Had to use the bucket many times to crawl ahead.

R1s be a game changer? Or?

Im wondeting at 4000 lbs with the compact size tires if its just too much for it? Maybe should have got an older heavier gear tractor for this. The land isnt flat either.

Mind you this is a 1 time job as it had corn planted. I plan on using a tiller after for 2-3 acres to prep to plant some crop.

Last edited:
   / R1 VS R4 massey 1547 #2  
R1’s would be a huge game changer. they have 3” tall “paddles” on them that will pull you through loose dirt.

Of course more weight always helps.

/ R1 VS R4 massey 1547 #3  
Hello

Tried an old 8 foot wide tow behind disc harrow with 2 rows on my cabbed 1547 hst with R4 that have seen better days that have calcium in them. Have 18 acres to turn over.

Maybe im expecting too much from it. But anymore than 4 inches of soft terrain and its stuck. Had to use the bucket many times to crawl ahead.

R1s be a game changer? Or?

Im wondeting at 4000 lbs with the compact size tires if its just too much for it? Maybe should have got an older heavier gear tractor for this. The land isnt flat either.

Mind you this is a 1 time job as it had corn planted. I plan on using a tiller after for 2-3 acres to prep to plant some crop.
Certainly the R1 tires are much better for what you are doing than R4s. The 1547 was sold in both 2 WD and 4WD versions. Do you have 4 WD ? Obviously you need it regardless of what tires you are using.

/ R1 VS R4 massey 1547
R1’s would be a huge game changer. they have 3” tall “paddles” on them that will pull you through loose dirt.

Of course more weight always helps.
thanks

As it has R4 on it im trying to figure out what the equivalent stock size R1 would be. Cant seem to find any info as to what stock R1 size for it would be.

/ R1 VS R4 massey 1547
Certainly the R1 tires are much better for what you are doing than R4s. The 1547 was sold in both 2 WD and 4WD versions. Do you have 4 WD ? Obviously you need it regardless of what tires you are using.
Yup its 4wd and still had to crawl with bucket.