Question for those who live in California

/ Question for those who live in California #461  
If you buy an ATV new in CA, you are pretty much forced into registering and titling it, even if only used on pvt property. That's $52 for 2y, and you can non-op it for $22 only during the renewal window a few months before the 2y OHV sticker expires. Forget it and fines can be as much as $200. Maybe more now with inflation.

Also true of OHVs brought in from out of state. You must show it to the DMV to verify VIN, then purchase a CA title and 2y OHV registration.

These are my personal experiences from owning many many vehicles, mostly ATVs. Dunno if these same rules apply to snowmobiles, or all UTVs. When is a UTV more like a tractor, where no title is available? e.g. Bobcat Toolcat, or Kubota RTV?

/ Question for those who live in California #462  
In California, if you own a travel trailer, it must be continuously registered with DMV even if it is permanently parked on your property. Huge fines accrue rapidly if you fall behind ...
I know of a bunch that came new off the lot and were never registered, just a temp tag to get it home (or where ever). Let's not talk about non titled not registered.

/ Question for those who live in California #463  
You only need the OHV registration if you want to ride on public land. I've needed them for federal, state and county riding areas. On private land you don't need the sticker or the registration. I used to do off road motorcycle competition so I've dealt with the OHV registration system a lot.

Most people who buy OHVs don't have their own land to operate them on like we do. So the registration system is geared for them.

If it's only operated on private land you don't need to register it. I'd file a non-op (a one time payment) so when you go to sell it, it can be registered without paying back registration. That makes it more appealing to someone who will want to ride it on public land. But it's not neccessary.

/ Question for those who live in California #464  
You only need the OHV registration if you want to ride on public land. I've needed them for federal, state and county riding areas. On private land you don't need the sticker or the registration. I used to do off road motorcycle competition so I've dealt with the OHV registration system a lot.

Most people who buy OHVs don't have their own land to operate them on like we do. So the registration system is geared for them.

If it's only operated on private land you don't need to register it. I'd file a non-op (a one time payment) so when you go to sell it, it can be registered without paying back registration. That makes it more appealing to someone who will want to ride it on public land. But it's not neccessary.
I have never bought an OHV brand new at a dealer in CA. I can just tell you that when you want to transfer a title from another state, you are forced by the DMV to register it for 2y, regardless of intended use on private land. The law says not required, but the bureaucrat says otherwise.

Were you required to get an OHV registration for your Honda Pioneer UTV when you bought it from the dealer, Eric?

/ Question for those who live in California #465  
I have never bought an OHV brand new at a dealer in CA. I can just tell you that when you want to transfer a title from another state, you are forced by the DMV to register it for 2y, regardless of intended use on private land. The law says not required, but the bureaucrat says otherwise.

Were you required to get an OHV registration for your Honda Pioneer UTV when you bought it from the dealer, Eric?

The dealer handled the registration like with a regular street going vehicle and registered it as an OHV. I've kept getting the green sticker even though I don't use it. I benefited a lot from the state parks that are funded by the OHV registration so I don't mind paying it.

Using the state title system automatically gets it registered as a green/red sticker vehicle if it's compliant. I think you could make an argument under CVC 38010.b.2 that your atv is an implement of husbandry. A farmer's atv certainly is and your use is pretty similar. But even without that, since you're not using it on public land you don't need the sticker.

/ Question for those who live in California #466  
The dealer handled the registration like with a regular street going vehicle and registered it as an OHV. I've kept getting the green sticker even though I don't use it. I benefited a lot from the state parks that are funded by the OHV registration so I don't mind paying it.

Using the state title system automatically gets it registered as a green/red sticker vehicle if it's compliant. I think you could make an argument under CVC 38010.b.2 that your atv is an implement of husbandry. A farmer's atv certainly is and your use is pretty similar. But even without that, since you're not using it on public land you don't need the sticker.
Most of the ATVs I have owned were for repair and resale. You can still find plenty of them without titles, and therefore, without registrations. A no-title machine is worth much less, plus it can not be exported to Mexico legally, as many are. I have been forced by the DMV to register at least 15-20 ATVs when I apply for new or transferred titles. Citing the rules has gotten me nowhere.

I have suspected that CA dealers also force buyers to register new ATVs and UTVs, even if not required technically by law for pvt land use.

If anyone has successfully circumvented this forced registration, I want to hear and find out how.

/ Question for those who live in California #467  
Kind of… a guy with a Deere and a Cheri engine went the other way and got if fully licensed for on road use and insured.

My brother was looking at it but decided too fast for the farm.

Not sure if spelling the engine name right?