Massey 1547 hst question on trans fluid and gear range

/ Massey 1547 hst question on trans fluid and gear range #1  

moparguy55

Tractor
Massry fergusson 1547
Hello
1900hrs on my 08 1547 had all new engine oil filter trans fluid and filters.

He out April tdh in it. I see it says meets some massey specs.

Started it hot was on a slight incline in high range and when i went to take off it had a delay. Got to checking fluid and it maybe down a little.

Im thinking i will dump the april tdh fluid and refill with the permatran 821xl.

No manual with it.

When should one use high range ? I have 20acres to disc i assune medium or low range ?

Thanks

Last edited:
   / Massey 1547 hst question on trans fluid and gear range #2  
Low range for long hard pulls
High is for roading

/ Massey 1547 hst question on trans fluid and gear range #3  
I have a 2007 or so MF1540 HST.

As Dman1981 says above, high range is really just for traveling on a road, with no implements in use. I think I used it once just to try it out.

I use mid range for just about everything

Use low for loader work, brush hogging deep grass, etc.

Basically, start off in mid range, and if it seems to be lugging a bit, put it in low range.

/ Massey 1547 hst question on trans fluid and gear range #4  
If you feel/ hear it struggling go down in gear. On my tractor if I can get away with working on mid range I will but more often then not it doesn't, it dose it while it's cold but once it get up in temp I have to switch to low range. High range is very weak it can't handle any resistance just accelerating on a flat surface from a stop position it has a hard time you can ear it wine and you have to ease to it, give it a chance off the start until you get some speed. The oil type wont change that... I personally run Duratran in my Massey only because that's what my local shop (Kioty dealer) has. I can't get my hands on permatran xl even on a online search. As long as it meet the spec, oil is oil espicially for hydraulic oil.

/ Massey 1547 hst question on trans fluid and gear range
If you feel/ hear it struggling go down in gear. On my tractor if I can get away with working on mid range I will but more often then not it doesn't, it dose it while it's cold but once it get up in temp I have to switch to low range. High range is very weak it can't handle any resistance just accelerating on a flat surface from a stop position it has a hard time you can ear it wine and you have to ease to it, give it a chance off the start until you get some speed. The oil type wont change that... I personally run Duratran in my Massey only because that's what my local shop (Kioty dealer) has. I can't get my hands on permatran xl even on a online search. As long as it meet the spec, oil is oil espicially for hydraulic oil.
Good to know thanks.

What model tractor do you have?

/ Massey 1547 hst question on trans fluid and gear range #7  
As long as it meet the spec, oil is oil espicially for hydraulic oil.
Not really but if you think it is, I guess it's ok with you. I never cheap out on any fluids myself, I always use what is recommended, always.

/ Massey 1547 hst question on trans fluid and gear range #8  
Not really but if you think it is, I guess it's ok with you. I never cheap out on any fluids myself, I always use what is recommended, always.
The Duratran that I use is no cheap by any means, my manual ask for permatran xl try to find some and comes back to me.

/ Massey 1547 hst question on trans fluid and gear range #9  
I've switched all 3 of my Kubota's over to Chevron THF Synthetic a while ago and it's very expensive fluid, like almost 200 bucks a pail. Each of mine takes 3 pails to change them, not including filters and each of them requires 2 filters each.