Hustler or Big Dog or Bad Boy

/ Hustler or Big Dog or Bad Boy #1  

John Fitzgerald

Gold Member
Tractor
XJ2025H same as NH Boomer 24
My old Husqvarna ZTR is slowing down, and I think the wheel motors are wearing out after about 12 seasons. After it quits, I will be looking for a smaller commercial grade mower (48-54") to mow about two acres once a week for our approximately 7.5 month mowing season. I want this to be probably the last mower I will need in retirement. I have been looking at Big Dog, Bad Boy, and Hustler. They are all carried by the same dealer.

Last edited:
   / Hustler or Big Dog or Bad Boy #2  
The Big dog alpha mp with the Kawasaki engine and the 54'' deck looks good

/ Hustler or Big Dog or Bad Boy #3  
If they let you take each for a test ride that would be great. Even if it were around the parking lot. Look for one with good seat or even better one with suspension. Ride and good fit to the operator are real important (IMO). I think you'll find they're all very nice machines.

/ Hustler or Big Dog or Bad Boy
Thanks. Suspension is a priority. My old ZTR doesn't have much, and my ground is rough from mole damage. After an hour or two I am a little beat up.

I like the idea of a rear discharge deck. Any disadvantage to it? I never bag grass.

/ Hustler or Big Dog or Bad Boy #6  
Check out Simplicty zero turns;built by Ferris.We have two in the family,nice machines.

Update: I am leaning heavily toward a Hustler Fastrak 54" rear discharge with 23 hp Kawasaki FR691V. It will do more than I need, and last many years.