Hangin' a storage box-JD 4200

/ Hangin' a storage box-JD 4200 #1  

LazyK

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 4200 hst
Hangin\' a storage box-JD 4200

I have always been able to figure out how, where,
and what to put on machines or animals for 'basic item' storage. Can anyone, out there in the tractor-hood, give me the benefit of their experience or thinking re: where & how to mount a
weather-tight box: 22-24" long x 12-16" wide x 12-16" high?
I'm a JD 4200 w/420 fel; 62" bucket; no front-end weight bracket extension...fel mounted almost all the time; 11.2-24, R-1's on 10' rims w/7-14, R-1's up front.
I would prefer to mount a 42' high cube 'skin' van box on the 4200, to carry all the necessary gen-sets, engine analyzers, portable dynos...etc.

BUT....I'll settle for a box to tote a few tools to grasp(rather than my scarred knuckles!); a few wipers(rather than my shirt, over-all leg or tongue! Hey...any port in a storm.); 1 ea. 16' & 1 ea. 9' chain w/hooks, shackles etc.; 1 ea. 14-16" cat-paw-pry-bar; 1 ea. high Db, "Ray Gonia-Special"
whistle(to be hung about neck to call for HELP when alone thinking about how to remove tractor from body; 5-6 assorted bungies; small flashlight w/shrink tubing around it so as not to break teeth whilst holding it in mouth).....You-All know. The BASICS.

help!

LazyK.gif

Lazy K - Chip

/ Hangin' a storage box-JD 4200 #2  
Re: Hangin\' a storage box-JD 4200

I've concluded that your only solution is to pull a 40' trailer behind the tractor, Chip./w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

Bird

/ Hangin' a storage box-JD 4200 #3  

Chip, I recently made a ROPS rack and attached it to my ROPS using U-bolts. This was discussed last fall in great detail and there is a thread on it somewhere. After making and attaching the rack, I then bolted a small metal toolbox to the rack angle-iron. Works great, its out of the way, doesn't interfere with the 3 pt. hitch or seat. I mounted it low enough to see over. It holds a 15' towchain, gloves, pliers, wrenches and flashlight just fine.

/ Hangin' a storage box-JD 4200 #5  

Bird...the truth be known, every month or so there's an auction south of me, past Olympia (brewery and state capitol...hard to tell which is which sometimes) where a feller might bid $300.00
on a pretty decent 28' sea-box container and get it!...or, I saw this one, a guy bid a final of $1300.00 on a 40' INSULATED, compartmented (chill and freeze) trailer on roadable rubber, wheels, axles and running gear, w/an old diesel Thermo-King,
not working but apparently re-buildable.

Get a deal like that or a 28' seabox for $300.00 and the need for a storage box on your tractor becomes irrelevant. Let's just store the tractor in the box!
Seriously, have you ever considered schedule 40 PVC or ABS pipe as material for a trailer-attachable storage unit?

/ Hangin' a storage box-JD 4200 #6  

Chip, I guess the old trailers are being used all over the country for storage. I know several people who have them, but have never asked what they cost. And I'm not personally using PVC storage containers right now, but think they'd be very good for a lot of things.

Bird