Farmall super a barely turning over

/ Farmall super a barely turning over #1  

FiredudeAT1

Tractor
Farmall Super A
I inherited a Farmall super A, it's been sitting a few years, I know battery is dead. Connected a good battery by booster cables, barely turns over twice and stops. Took starter off connected directly to battery, gear pops out and spins. Stuck screwdriver in starter hole and made sure flywheel does turn. Why will starter not turn motor over? I know it ran about two years ago. Just been sitting in a garage since then. Thanks for all help

/ Farmall super a barely turning over #2  
First thing, starter should have a good clean connection to the bell housing to be able to ground well. Buff the surfaces to get a bright surface. Second is battery cables. If it has automotive size like 4 gauge, those are way too small. Minimum should be at least 1/0, 2/0 is even better. With proper cables, good ground and a fully charged battery, you'd think you had a 12V battery hooked up to it.

Just in case the cable are light gauge, I get mine here, I don't think their prices can be beat. Any size cables you want, for the price difference between 1/0 and 2/0 I get the 2/0. Color choice of sheath, multiple choice of ends plus shrink wrapped. Very flexible marine grade cables. Quality Copper Battery Cables Made in the USA! - BatteryCablesUSA

/ Farmall super a barely turning over
It was the booster cables. Thanks for the help