Do you have a srew loose?

/ Do you have a srew loose? #1  

RJohnson

Silver Member
Tractor
my 18 horse Sears doesn't even count as a tractor
One of the problems we encounter at my company is that after tightening fasteners to specified torque, we find the nuts becoming loose or reduced torque values. I personnally have never been a proponent of torque values, there are too many variables that affect torque and not all of them related to the clamping force of the bolt used.
Well to make a long story short we have stumbled across a supplier of a securement device that we hope will eliminate our nuts coming loose/w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif/w3tcompact/icons/blush.gif after they have been "torqued".
Tractors are notorious for losing fasteners, this device called a Nord-Lock has shown to be a better "mouse-trap" than either torque prevailing lock nuts or nylon insert lock nuts. I am including a link so you can check it out yourself http://www.nord-lock.com
The device is expensive but you can eliminate a washer by using the Nord-Lock and it couldn't be any more expensive than a replacement nut, bolt and washer./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif
Just tightening down a nut by hand and then trying to loosen it takes more force because of the cam action of the Nord-Lock. Anyhow a little info never hurt anyone. Enjoy.

Randy

/ Do you have a srew loose? #2  
RJohnson,
"Do you have screw loose" heck I thought you were responding to one of my post. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

I checked out the website and seems like a good idea but have a question.
If I wasn't useing a torgue wrench on a 3/4" plus nut how would this washers stand up compare to a washer..lock washer?
For 3/4" plus nuts grade 6 or better I tighten {spinach time} them as much as I can.

Thomas..NH /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ Do you have a srew loose? #3  
The loose screw post sure caught my attention!
Thanks for the link, used some quite a while ago and the really hang on;). Now if TSC would start stocking them...

/ Do you have a srew loose?
Thomas,
Most fastener lock nuts depend upon friction, torque values are really an indication of friction developed between the thread elements. The Nord-Lock uses tension, as the cam planes move in relationship to each other they try to separate and increase the tension load of the nut on the bolt. Its a pretty nifty idea. Split ring lock washers are trying to do the same thing, put more of a tension load on the nut. I do not think the split ring will achieve as good as a tension value as the Nord-Lock. The split ring tension is dependent upon the metallurgy of the steel whereas the Nord-Lock is a mechanical design which should give more consistent results.

Randy

/ Do you have a srew loose? #5  
RJohnson,
Thanks for the info,and by the sounds the may just work great on hay bailers..hay rakes etc.. w/moving parts.

Thomas..NH /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif