B2400 starting problem finally solved

/ B2400 starting problem finally solved #112  
I just now came across this thread, even though it's old it still has useful information. My tractor has just started having this kind of problem and it sure looks like this is the solution. I'll still have to trouble shoot it though. The starter & solenoid terminals are hidden behind the loader frame and covered with a plate so very hard to get to.

Here's a question: What kind of current are we talking about for the relay? The posts mention a 40 amp relay, is it safe to assume that all starters can be handled by that? The tractor I have is 50 Hp but the tractors mentioned are smaller than this.

Also, the link back in post #2 to the original writeup doesn't work anymore.
You are only providing voltage to energize the solenoid. You know that big wire coming from the battery to the starter? It is the one carrying the load not the small wire coming from the switch. Oh, incidentally your ignition switch probably will not handle 40 amps. The size of the starter increases as the horse power increases. The starter from a lawn mower will not begin to spin your 50 horsepower motor.

/ B2400 starting problem finally solved #113  
I think the discrepancy between volts and amps is being caused by these digital volt meters.

I can get one of these digital volt meters,, and read the proper 13.8 volts at the ignition switch,, but, once the defective switch is activated,, through a high resistance defective connection,, the voltage can drop to near zero,,

Yes, there WAS 13.8 volts,, but, it is gone now,,

I would bet ANY of these tractors could be "fixed" by correcting ALL of the electrical connections,,
but. it is easier, cheaper, simpler, and less frustrating to install the relay.

I fixed several tractors with similar starting issues, before the "relay fix" came along,,
My first step was always to increase the size of the battery cables.

I had a 24HP Cub Cadet,, it had the ~#10 wire as a ground from the battery under the seat, to the frame,, less than a foot of wire.
(That is what the factory thought was adequate)
I swapped that #10 for a #6 that went the several feet to the engine,,

After the wire change, the tractor always spun like it had two starter motors!!